Pond Boss
Posted By: ItalyBASS European (redfin) Perch - 12/12/18 02:13 PM
Hi all.
I have a rectangular pond, 1 acre, average depth 7 feet. It is populated by CGC, crucians, bullheads, LMB, some PS and local minnows like your FHM. I supplemental feed them from march to october/november with a 42% protein fish pellet.
This year I've removed about 450 lb of biomass from the pond (crucians and some CGC), to reduce the biomass load that was actually too high for a 1 acre pond.
In the next spring I would like to introduce european perch, as forage for adults LMB and as predators of young LMB.
The fishery owner told me he would give me perch long about 8". How many can I introduce in my pond?
Thank you
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: European (redfin) Perch - 12/12/18 04:02 PM
Hi!
I'm not sure how many perch you should stock but I am curious on learning how the fishery raises the perch? How do they obtain a supply all the time? How do they feed them? Do you have other choices to stock outside of 8" size?

Another practical concern is that your large mouth bass of say 15" or longer will possibly eat the 8" perch. How do we prevent that?
Posted By: ItalyBASS Re: European (redfin) Perch - 12/12/18 10:08 PM
Hi CC!
I m pretty sure fishery here don t raise them cause they don t have perch all the year but only in spring. Probably they import 8” perch from north and east Europe in spring and sell them all. If some fish remain they surely feed them with pellet till the sold out. No way to find perch bigger or smaller than 8”.

Unfotunately for me there are 2 or 3 LMB left bigger than 14”. Almost all my big ones died last here during a massive DO crash due to cianobacterya.
© Pond Boss Forum