Pond Boss
Posted By: smhog Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/08/13 12:40 AM
Hey all. Hope everybody had a great 4th!
I have a 1 acre pond that is stocked with small HBG, BG, CC, LMB, and a few Koi fish. We started with 20 Koi a year ago, and put 15 more in a couple of months ago. We haven't seen them for over a month. They were all pretty good size, some over 2 lbs. Will sandhill cranes, coons, or other predators take that many Koi?
Thanks
Posted By: esshup Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/08/13 12:41 AM
Don't forget Bald Eagles and Ospreys.
Posted By: JKB Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/08/13 12:47 AM
A GBH plucked all the Koi from my sisters ornamental pond a couple years ago. She was upset! Never did add new fish.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/08/13 02:01 AM
I doubt they've all be killed or ate. Prolly just hiding from you.. Ornamental ponds are easy picking for GBH I hate those damn things..
Posted By: JKB Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/08/13 02:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
I doubt they've all be killed or ate. Prolly just hiding from you.. Ornamental ponds are easy picking for GBH I hate those damn things..

Nah, they were all taken out. It was over the course of a couple days that this happened. Zip-Zilch left!
Posted By: smhog Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/08/13 02:26 AM
That's what I was afraid of. That dirty bird was kind of cool looking for awhile, now I'll need to what for hunting season! Those Koi aren't cheap either!
Thanks guys
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/08/13 11:36 AM
The heron is federally protected. IF you remove it, keep your mouth shut about it.
Posted By: RER Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/08/13 12:19 PM
I have had Birds after my koi for years and have lost several. They have not ben able to get them all. I bet you have some left. They are just hanging near the bottom, maybe cooler water..
Do you feed, they will come up for feed of fed on a schedual usually
Posted By: JKB Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/08/13 12:59 PM
Could be still hiding in smhog's pond. In my sisters, they were a sitting duck.
Posted By: Zep Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/08/13 01:35 PM
I wondered how well my albino Tilapia would survive against predators. Like koi they can stand out like a sore thumb. It seems like about 10% of my tilapia are albinos. They've been in the pond since May and I saw quite a few swimming around this past Saturday so maybe they do ok. Everybody enjoys watching the white ones...because they can be seen so easily....I suppose blondes really do get the most attention!
Posted By: smhog Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/08/13 11:12 PM
I think the culprit is a sand hill crane, and there really is a season on them! Started feeding until the coons destroyed my feeder. Any recommendations on a coon proof feeder?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/08/13 11:32 PM
I've had the same koi for a couple years now. He's yellow and black, sticks out pretty good but has somehow avoided herons, eagles and ospreys.
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/09/13 04:21 AM
Originally Posted By: JKB
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller

Nah, they were all taken out. It was over the course of a couple days that this happened. Zip-Zilch left!

I was talking about the posters pond.. Not your sisters
Posted By: MattWI Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/09/13 12:13 PM
As far as the fish feeder take a look at this link http://www.texashunterproducts.com/difife1.html?gclid=CJPuhpqxorgCFckWMgod4jUAPQ
Posted By: esshup Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/09/13 01:39 PM
I've seen coon prints all over the TH feeders and nothing seems to stop them from working.
Posted By: smhog Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/20/13 03:39 AM
The Koi are back! I installed a new fish feeder and within a couple of days they were all over it. I know I lost some but I think half of them are still alive!
Thanks guys
Posted By: Bluegillerkiller Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/20/13 05:00 AM
Kinda what I figured smile good luck with your koi
Posted By: 19dave68 Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/20/13 04:46 PM
Anybody know when Koi spawn?? Never seen any in my pond yet. I`m guessing they were yearlings 6-8" they grow rapidly!! Algae is definitely down the last few years. They are a playful fish, sometimes 2, or 3 of them just keep following each other around. Never noticed this with other species.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Where have all the Koi gone? - 07/20/13 05:35 PM
They spawn in the spring with water temps around 70. A female will get chased by several males.
© Pond Boss Forum