Pond Boss
Posted By: Joe Street Need to get rid of fish - 08/08/06 02:29 PM
Hello everyone. I need to get rid of some fish in my pond. I would like to harvest a bunch of them to transfer to another pond. Any suggestions on the best way to do it other than a rod and reel? My pond is way overstocked and I have a buddy that has just enlarged an existing pond and wants a bunch of fish. My Uncle has been catching them out with a rod and reel but the going is slow and I'd like to get them out without injuring them. Any help will be appreciated.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Need to get rid of fish - 08/08/06 03:03 PM
Hiring a pro fisheries manager to electroshock the pond would let you pick out what you want with little or no risk to the fish, provided they are transported properly afterwards.

What sizes and species are you after?
Posted By: Joe Street Re: Need to get rid of fish - 08/08/06 04:55 PM
Theo, I have way too many CC. I put in way too many and I think every one that I put in survived. Anyone know of a fisheries manager in Central Indiana? I'm in the Plainfield area just west of Indianapolis, IN.
Posted By: Schroeder Re: Need to get rid of fish - 08/08/06 05:32 PM
Any idea of the price range for electroshocking a 2 to 3 acre pond? I don't know if we're talking 3 figures or 4.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Need to get rid of fish - 08/09/06 01:27 AM
Joe:

That's a common problem. Have they spawned on you as well?

Schroeder:

I have the impression it should be in the low 4 figures.
Posted By: Joe Street Re: Need to get rid of fish - 08/10/06 01:38 AM
The CC haven't spawned as far as I can tell. Are you all thinking that it would cost in the 1000's of dollars to have someone electroshock the pond?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Need to get rid of fish - 08/10/06 02:02 AM
Unfortunately, I do.

Take a look at Too Many Big Catfish if you haven't seen it. We've been discussing different techniques for CC removal that might interest you if your catfish numbers aren't astronomical.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Need to get rid of fish - 08/10/06 02:46 AM
Joe, I really doubt that it would be that much.

PM Lusk at the PB office and ask for a referral.
Posted By: Sunil Re: Need to get rid of fish - 08/10/06 03:17 AM
I had also thought it would be into four figures, however, didn't we cover this somewhere a few months back, and someone said it was in the hundreds of dollars? Was it Grimes that said it?

Still seems low to me.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Need to get rid of fish - 08/10/06 01:01 PM
I wonder if off-season rates might be negotiated downward? Kind of like with excavating equipment that you still have to make payments on when it's the wrong season for housing starts.
Posted By: Meadowlark Re: Need to get rid of fish - 08/10/06 01:02 PM
I had it done on a 4 acre pond two or three years ago for $450. That price did not include a management report, which as I understand it from Greg drives the cost up considerably due to the labor involved.

If you are just after fish removal and willing to do some or most of that yourself with the assistance of an electroshocker person, my guess is it would be pretty reasonable.

However, be advised that typical electroshocking only gets you 10 to 20% of the fish and generally only those in shallow water.
© Pond Boss Forum