Pond Boss
Posted By: Zach carp=muddy water - 06/15/03 12:42 AM
I have a problem with a pond that is over loaded with with grass and Common carp. They had to wash in from other ponds because there is 1000's of them. They are muddy up a 20 acre lake where you cant see 2inches down in the water! The creek that is filling up is nothing but carp on the surface sucking on grass and stumps. What is my options to reduce the population of carp? The only thing I think of doing is shocking and an gill net. I dont mind gill nets but the catch everything that hits it.
Posted By: Greg Grimes Re: carp=muddy water - 06/15/03 08:48 PM
I'll tell you this and maybe it will help. I shocked a 28 acre lake full of common carp. We tookout so many it almost sank the boat ( 3 times) I was hired for a return visit just for carp removal and not an anlysis, again filled the boat 2 times full of carp. We did not use gill nets, maybe that would have worked? We drained the lake last year since it still full of carp and had other trash fish species and is on its way back to becoming a nice fishery. MY point is I doubt you can takeout enough with electrofishing. Gill nets may work, we also on another project had good success with an umbrella net placed on a boat dock. The owner fed and tookout fish and in his case got the numbers way down, but did not have too many when we started. Good luck!
© Pond Boss Forum