Pond Boss
Posted By: RER Stubby Steves - 04/16/12 03:49 PM
Just ordered me a few packs of stubby steves baits. I am trying to catch and remove 2 of the four GC in the pond. (half acre with zero vegitation). was advised on a previous thread to take a couple out if I wanted to get any vegitation started.
They have been pounding the pellets so I am thinking stubby steves will work for them. If I can get it past all the HBG...
Has any one used them to catch pellet eating Grass Carp
Posted By: esshup Re: Stubby Steves - 04/16/12 11:19 PM
You mean like this? wink grin

Posted By: JamesBryan Re: Stubby Steves - 04/17/12 01:00 AM
Bobby, you mean CC or grass carp?I assume since Mr. Esshup is showing his trophy, you meant Grass carp?If you can get a good deep angle on em, 22 LR hollow point? I like a sharp angle to minimize ricochet. Though Carp are fun to catch!
Posted By: esshup Re: Stubby Steves - 04/17/12 04:31 AM
James, that was from a buddy's pond. They were eating pellets and not eating enough of the plants. After catching and releasing 3 of them, we didn't see them cruising the pellet buffet anymore.

I think CC are just about as smart. I've found that if you catch and release the CC, they get hook shy in a hurry!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Stubby Steves - 04/17/12 05:00 AM
Wow that is a genius idea for getting GC off pellets! Did it work?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Stubby Steves - 04/17/12 11:29 AM
Shotgun while feeding does a number on them.
Posted By: esshup Re: Stubby Steves - 04/17/12 12:31 PM
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Wow that is a genius idea for getting GC off pellets! Did it work?

It seemed to work for the remainder of last year. I don't know if they remembered this year or not. We'll see.....
Posted By: RER Re: Stubby Steves - 04/17/12 02:11 PM
Yes, I wanted to remove two Grass Carp.
I actually have a small pond next door that has vegitation over growth issues, it can have two of them. I figured the stubbies would work. I'll take a photo of them if I get them...I'll probably have to catch 100 HBG in the process......I hate it when that happens...
Posted By: JamesBryan Re: Stubby Steves - 04/17/12 04:21 PM
Yeah, that's my experience also. Like many others here, I can have several CC feeding, and throw out a worm, catch one and they usually leave the area, and sometimes quit hitting the pellets altogether. I think that grunting sound translated means "Swim like Hell, and dont take the bait"!
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Stubby Steves - 04/17/12 04:33 PM
Scott if that method works for keeping GC or other unintended fish off pellets I think it's an amazing solution in it's simplicity and organic nature. Please let us know...I NEVER considered that method before.
Posted By: esshup Re: Stubby Steves - 04/18/12 12:59 AM
TJ, I got the idea from George.
Posted By: JamesBryan Re: Stubby Steves - 04/18/12 01:03 AM
Pavlov's dogs?
Posted By: RER Re: Stubby Steves - 05/02/12 06:07 PM
I ordered some stubby steves over two weeks ago, the web site says the order is still awaiting fullfillment. Has any one else ordered from them and had a long wait time for the product? Is that a pretty normal time frame?
Posted By: george1 Re: Stubby Steves - 05/02/12 07:36 PM
Originally Posted By: BobbyRice
Just ordered me a few packs of stubby steves baits. I am trying to catch and remove 2 of the four GC in the pond. (half acre with zero vegitation). was advised on a previous thread to take a couple out if I wanted to get any vegitation started.
They have been pounding the pellets so I am thinking stubby steves will work for them. If I can get it past all the HBG...
Has any one used them to catch pellet eating Grass Carp

Bobby, if you fly fish you will have a blast with GC on the fly!
Sight cast for them and hang on! What size GC? - better have at least 12lb leader/tippet.
They fight as hard on the bank as in the water if you inte.nd to land them ..... they will fight 'til they die if played too long.
Caught this one on pellet fly but SS work as well
Good luck!

Posted By: RER Re: Stubby Steves - 05/02/12 08:12 PM
I will if I ever get them........
Posted By: RC51 Re: Stubby Steves - 05/02/12 09:08 PM
Remember the cereal Kicks?? They were about the size of AM600 I wonder if you could stick a hook through a piece of it and cast it with a bobber??

Count chocolate would be even better as it's brown in color!! smile
Posted By: RER Re: Stubby Steves - 05/02/12 09:22 PM
I might have to just use cheerios...just put the hook in the hole on the middle if my stubies never arrive.
Posted By: Omaha Re: Stubby Steves - 05/02/12 09:23 PM
You'll get them. Why don't you call their office and get an update on your order. 276.988.5874. Stubby Steve's is good people.
Posted By: RER Re: Stubby Steves - 05/03/12 02:35 PM
I figured they are...
I emailed but no response, checked the web looks like the order is still being filled. I know they make them in small batches so they could be just behind...
I guess Ill actually have to pick up the old telepohone and use it...LOL
Posted By: george1 Re: Stubby Steves - 05/03/12 03:27 PM
Bobby, just take a AQMX 600 pellet, wrap it in a piece of panty hose and attach to a hook - aka Cecil's PH pellet fly.
Works as well or better than SS but not as convenient.
Also a pellet size peice of closed cell foam makes a killer fly.

Posted By: RER Re: Stubby Steves - 05/03/12 04:24 PM
I was gonna use open cell foam and soak it in a slury of wet pellets to absord the flavor and try that...
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Stubby Steves - 05/03/12 04:32 PM
Nate (Harmon brothers) (link here on the website) I believe also sells them.
Posted By: george1 Re: Stubby Steves - 05/03/12 04:49 PM
Good idea - I'll try that - the only problem with foam flies with big fish is difficult to get a hook-up - best used in clear water for sight feeders.
Pellets and SS work best for me as sinking flies in turbid water.
Posted By: Stacy4Stubby Re: Stubby Steves - 05/03/12 10:33 PM
Hey, Bobby...
I don't know what happened with your shipment. I always send orders out that day or the following day if the mail has already run. I'll send you six packs out priority mail tomorrow. Please let me know if you don't get them in a few days.

I usually use my phone and email notice to place orders so I rarely ever go to the actual store and update the "awaiting fullfillment" message. Guess I should start doing that!

I apologize for whatever has happened to delay you fishing with our lure!

We pride ourselves in quick shipping and good customer service. I'm truly sorry.
Sincerely,
Stacy

Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Stubby Steves - 05/04/12 05:06 AM
Bobby, Stubby Steve's as everyone can see are top notch people... Not a big name business, just a local home grown company. I am sure you will be very happy with their product!
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Stubby Steves - 05/06/12 12:23 PM
I got a free sample from Nate (Herman bros) quite a while back. I was really impressed not only how well they stayed on the hook but how many fish you can catch on one before it comes off the hook. I'll be ordering some in the future.
Posted By: Stacy4Stubby Re: Stubby Steves - 05/07/12 01:08 PM
Hey Bobby! I got your package back today. It says "NS". I checked the address and we have it correct. I'll go to the post office and see what that error means. ???
Posted By: RER Re: Stubby Steves - 05/07/12 02:19 PM
Hm,that is strange. I sent you a PM to confirm My address...

Thanks so much...........
Posted By: RER Re: Stubby Steves - 05/14/12 01:20 PM
They arrived, Looks like they sent them UPS this time as the USPS seemed to not now how to find my house....
They did double my order at no charge to me for having to wait even though it was not an issue on their end...
Cant wait to try them out...
Got a couple of snapper and a red fish small enough for me to stock that will strart on the minnnows but need to grow before they can be threat to any BG in the pond. I have them acclimated to fresh water and I will be headed out next weekend to try them out when im stocking my new fish.
Posted By: RER Re: Stubby Steves - 05/29/12 01:23 PM
I tried the stubby steves this weeekend, I did catch three koi and one left over goldfish. I also caught two pretty large HBG hooked and lost one GC.

It was actually kinda tuff fishing. The fish would come up to eat it see the hook and turn away. I also had 20 LB floro leader. I think that was way to thick. Scalling back to 10LB or less will help I think.

Man carp are smart .....

I also found the pellet slides down into the curve of the hook and interfers with the hook penitration, I believe thats what happended when I had the GC take it, the hook did no set deep due to the rubber pellet interfering. What size hook is recomended while using the stubbies......
Posted By: esshup Re: Stubby Steves - 05/29/12 03:08 PM
Bobby, I use an Owner #10 Mosquito hook - it's a fine wire hook, relatively short shank. I'll run the hook thru a corner of the pellet to leave room to hook the fish. I have thought about putting a dab of super glue on the shank before threading one on to hold it in place too.
Posted By: george1 Re: Stubby Steves - 05/29/12 03:34 PM
Bobby, check out #6 Eagle Claw or Mustad baitholder hooks.
They have barbs on the hook shank that will keep the Stubby from "blocking" the hook gape.
Posted By: RER Re: Stubby Steves - 10/29/12 03:35 PM
success....after catching a 4 LB koi and a handful of HBG I got this thing.....Only 2 more to go...
it was relocated to a heavily vegetated pond

© Pond Boss Forum