Pond Boss
Posted By: Bucketmouth Tilapia in Ohio - 12/07/09 12:16 AM
Can anyone advise me as to whether or not Tilapia are legal to stock in Ohio, and, if so, who would be a good provider?

Thanks everyone!

Bucketmouth
Posted By: esshup Re: Tilapia in Ohio - 12/07/09 12:44 AM
Calling Rainman!

http://www.tilapiastockers.com
Posted By: Rainman Re: Tilapia in Ohio - 12/07/09 10:49 PM
Sorry! I'v been away from the forum.

Yes, Tilapia are 100% legal in Ohio in private waters. Ohio DNR has even contacted me to possibly stock 3 public lakes.
Posted By: Bucketmouth Re: Tilapia in Ohio - 12/08/09 12:48 AM
Rainman,

What kind of pricing am I looking at for service in North Central Ohio?

Thanks!
Posted By: rcooked Re: Tilapia in Ohio - 03/16/10 06:30 PM
Bucketmouth,

Where in North Central Ohio? I am in Marion and emailed Rex a while back about checking into Tilapia...
Posted By: Rainman Re: Tilapia in Ohio - 03/19/10 03:06 AM
rcooked, Bucketmouth,

I have just gotten a confirmed order in NW Ohio on a golf course and a company named Inspired By Nature...He will be maintaining a supply for me for customer pick up and is going to study Tilapia effectivness on 100 half acre "Test" ponds. This time next year there should be quantitative proof on what impacts tilapia have in a pond in many situations.

The anticipated delivery run at this point for me to Ohio is the last week of May or the first week of June...Earlier if it warms up sooner.
Posted By: Conejo Re: Tilapia in Ohio - 03/19/10 03:35 AM
I looked into raising them a few years ago before I decided to go with YP. The Ohio State Aquaculture folks did some research, which I assume the folks at Inspired.. looked into.

Some really good info, but you need Microsoft PowerPoint to view. I think there are free readers available to download.

http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~prec/aqua/Bowling%20Green%20Workshop/Species%20Selection.ppt

The notes say under Tilapia they are not legal to stock, but I'm not sure how old the info is. They are listed on the unrestricted "legal to grow" list for 2010 with a Class A license.

Posted By: esshup Re: Tilapia in Ohio - 03/19/10 04:15 AM
Rex:

I'm betting that it's sooner than later. I think it'll be an early Spring. I'll take pond temp tomorrow.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Tilapia in Ohio - 03/20/10 09:32 PM
 Originally Posted By: Conejo
I looked into raising them a few years ago before I decided to go with YP. The Ohio State Aquaculture folks did some research, which I assume the folks at Inspired.. looked into.

Some really good info, but you need Microsoft PowerPoint to view. I think there are free readers available to download.

http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~prec/aqua/Bowling%20Green%20Workshop/Species%20Selection.ppt

The notes say under Tilapia they are not legal to stock, but I'm not sure how old the info is. They are listed on the unrestricted "legal to grow" list for 2010 with a Class A license.

Conejo,

Thanks for the heads up...I double checked and Tilapia are indeed, UNRESTRICTED for private water stocking in Ohio. I believe the "Class A License" pertains to raising Tilapia for commercial purposes to sell as a food fish.
© Pond Boss Forum