Pond Boss
Posted By: J. E. Craig 2-4" Bream - 11/09/07 01:16 PM
I once had 4-6 dozen bream in the 2-4" range hanging around my cinder block structures. For most of this summer the number has been less than 2 dozen. In an IDEAL pond these would be the primary targets of what size LMB?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: 2-4" Bream - 11/09/07 01:40 PM
I would say 6" to 12", based on the thumb rule that LMB prefer BG 1/3 to 1/4 their own body length.
Posted By: Joey Re: 2-4" Bream - 11/10/07 02:05 PM
I know there the food chain but it buggs me to see my BG dwindle, it buggs me worse when I am feeding them and !!WHAM** One of my little buddys gets whacked.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: 2-4" Bream - 11/10/07 02:28 PM
99.99(etc.)% of all BG born get eaten. Remember you NEED them to be eaten, otherwise they'd ALL be 2" long, and skinny.
Posted By: ewest Re: 2-4" Bream - 11/10/07 02:28 PM
Joey - I understand they are pets but if a lot were not wacked then you would have 50 gazillion 1 inch and smaller buddies and nothing else. \:o ;\)

Theo great minds at the same time?
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: 2-4" Bream - 11/10/07 02:31 PM
Like that Olympics swimming final where they had to go to 1/1000ths of a second to pick the winner.
Posted By: J. E. Craig Re: 2-4" Bream - 11/11/07 02:22 PM
I too have been feeding all summmer. The only population that has continually increased is the mosquito minnows. The 2-4" BG population seemed to build up 2 or 3 times & then they get whacked. A good number of them while I was feeding them. I am happy as there is a very health population of 6" & greater BGs.
Posted By: S Brown Re: 2-4" Bream - 11/13/07 05:26 PM
Supplying habitat for forage fish to hide and invertabrates to thrive helps grow some fish individuals up to quality size. For a balanced fish population there must be balance between quality habitat (vegetation, stumps, tree tops, etc.) and open water. A lake without structure, is a breed and feed bathtub. The bass will even at their own after spawning when groceries only come once a year. The fish appear fat and healthy after the spawning season, but they get very thin by the next spawning season, beacause there is nothing to eat. All the supplimental feeders in the world cannot make up for the lack of quality habitat. Habitat and harvest are two very essential requirements to achieve a balanced and/or quality fishery.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: 2-4" Bream - 11/14/07 03:31 AM
Good synopsis, S Brown. BTW, welcome aboard.
Posted By: ewest Re: 2-4" Bream - 11/14/07 03:39 AM
Here is a BG and a CNBG from ponds with feeders and no structure or cover.

Posted By: MbBass Re: 2-4" Bream - 02/05/08 07:44 PM
Man that top one is huge.Its like if it eats anymore it will blow.Is the top one male and bottom female??Tryin to learn how to tell the difference.Thanx
© Pond Boss Forum