Pond Boss
Posted By: Stevie Ray Pond My very first fish kill......... - 07/23/19 12:54 AM
Well over the last 3 to 4 days I have been finding large dead bluegill and observing my largest bluegill struggling here and there. I have been aerating every night from 6PM to 9AM since I am in Southwest Louisiana. I guess it is an oxygen crash but I can't understand how with the aeration. Sad to see the fish I was proudest of to be floating. Not many fish but it is a small pond. Death Toll is at 9 7.5" to 8.5" bluegill. Right now I have changed my aeration to 24/7, is that the right move?
Posted By: Snipe Re: My very first fish kill......... - 07/23/19 02:27 AM
Figuring out what the cause IS is the right move. What are your am water temps running? Anything else change recently, such as algae die-off or rain event? anything you can think of?
Are you seeing any very small fish dead?
How old (approx.)is the pond.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: My very first fish kill......... - 07/23/19 10:30 AM
"You're not a real Aquaculturist until you've killed your first million fish."
-Bruce Condello
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: My very first fish kill......... - 07/23/19 02:22 PM
Hey Stevie,

Hate to hear about your kill. It's never a good feeling when you've devoted so much time and effort into your pond.

Just a couple suggestions...

Temp: If your water temp has gotten too high, your fish are more susceptible to ammonia toxicity. Try to get a reading on your ammonia levels. You can add some salt to counter this. Maybe 40 pounds for your pond.

Cloudy weather: with all the cloud cover we've had the last few days, its possible you've had a DO crash, which typically affects your biggest fish first. Do you have any larger LMB that are being affected? I understand you're running note aeration, but it may not be enough turnover.

I'm grasping at straws here, bro. Hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will chime in soon.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: My very first fish kill......... - 07/25/19 11:59 PM
My fish kills(several) have been in my 1/4 acre pond about a half mile from the house. It as due to neglect and an out of balance predator/prey situation. I had too many fatheads and bluegills versus bass and Mama Nature is a cruel bitch. Now it has turned into a GSF, channel cat pond.
© Pond Boss Forum