Pond Boss
Posted By: SDJACKS Northern Pike over populated - 06/04/18 01:31 AM
45 acre dam in South Dakota that has LMB and pike. I used to fish this 10 years ago and catch huge bass and good pike. Now all I catch is 24inch pike. I do not own this but the landowner and I both agree that we have to manage this better. Anyone have any advice in managing a pike and bass pond?
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Northern Pike over populated - 06/04/18 02:08 AM
Just a thought out of left field....Tiger Muskies might help trim down the pike herd and they do not reproduce so you can control their numbers. They would give you another angling option while reducing the numbers of the small pike and bass leaving more food for the growth of the ones left.

What other species are in the lake now?

My thought is you need a predator that can grow large enough to feed on the pike. The BOW is large enough that maybe BC or FHC would also be options. Another thought is to introduce more forage like BCP, WE and YP.

IMO, if your solution involves stocking new species, it will be expensive as you will need to stock advanced size fish and/or large quantities.

Not a pro...just my 1 cent

Posted By: DonoBBD Re: Northern Pike over populated - 06/04/18 12:15 PM
This is interesting. There is a pond up here that was over populated with northern pike. We could catch at most 24"ers all the way down to magic marker size. Basically anything white or silver every cast.

The new owner placed in Large mouth bass. The bass ended up over taking the pike. It took some time but the bass are Ontario record size and have a hard time catching any pike any more. The pond is at most 1.5 acres. I can ask if they fished out the pike or where they went.

Cheers Don.
© Pond Boss Forum