Pond Boss
Posted By: jason miller HSB supplier in IN? - 04/15/18 10:14 PM
Anyone have any first-hand experience with any suppliers in Indiana for HSB? Looking for a small quantity to add as a bonus species, preferably within an hour of Indianapolis. Specifically, I live in West Lafayette.
Posted By: RAH Re: HSB supplier in IN? - 04/15/18 10:30 PM
I have not bought HSB from Jones, but they now have fish days in west Indy. I have bought other species with good luck. They are a big company, rather than a smaller family operation, but I have not had any problems with fish quality.

https://jonesfish.com/pages/fish-days
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: HSB supplier in IN? - 04/16/18 05:43 AM
Call Scott Schillig Hoosier Pond Pros.

Address:10375 E 600 North
Grovertown, IN 46531
Phone:(574) 806-4237
Email:info@hoosierpondpros.com
Posted By: jason miller Re: HSB supplier in IN? - 04/17/18 06:11 PM
Thanks for the info. Scott from HPP actually sent a pm, too, which was nice.

I'm thinking 20-30(and maybe another 20-30 next year) in a spring-fed, 15 year old, 2.75 acre pond might be a fun addition. The LMB fishing is just starting to deteriorate. Probably need to remove some. A couple Tiger Muskies might be a fun addition that could potentially help with the LMB, too...
Posted By: Bernie H. Re: HSB supplier in IN? - 04/17/18 11:55 PM
jason

I,ve stocked them in my pond,(same size as yours) for the last three yrs,and they have done really well. But, I feed them by putting food in three rings with one anchored in the middle of the pond. They are open water fish and I,ve noticed they are feeding better at that feeder than at the two closer to the shore.

They are aggressive and strike hard,but if you catch them in the summer better keep them as they don,t survive well.

Your stocking rate is fine only you might lose some to predation if they are small (7" to 9"). I cage raise them for a month or so until they are a little larger,then release them into the pond.

HSB are the only fish actively feeding now that I can tell.
© Pond Boss Forum