Pond Boss
Posted By: N.TexasHalfAcre Establishing a Slot Limit for LMB - 04/02/18 08:33 PM
So, my existing pond was stocked in March of 2017 with RES, CNBG, LMB and HSB. I had figured that it would probably be 2019 before I would have to worry about removing any LMB. Well, after stocking I subsequently determined that the pond was not empty after all and had several adult bass already in it. I have caught multiple 3, 4 and 5 pounders as well as one fat 9 pounder. All in my tiny 1/2 acre pond!! Every fish (CNBG, LMB and HSB) I have caught has looked fat and happy. I am very pleased with where my pond is at, especially considering I thought it would take 3-5 years to get to this point. My question is, what is a good slot limit to establish for friends and family to come start harvesting some LMB? I am just wanting to maintain the good, fun, healthy fishery I currently have. I will probably encourage people to take any HSB caught during the warmer months regardless of size since they will possibly die anyway, but what would everyone suggest on LMB and even the CNBG? Thanks.
Posted By: Matzilla Re: Establishing a Slot Limit for LMB - 04/02/18 09:20 PM
harvest the worst performers (rw) of each length class
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Establishing a Slot Limit for LMB - 04/02/18 09:32 PM
IMO you need more data before setting harvest slot sizes. I would collect length and Rw on all fish caught for a while. That data should point you towards what size class needs to be harvested of each species. IMO knowing your goals is also a big factor in the decision on harvest size. Is your goal big LMB or big CNBG or just nice size of all species or....?
My goals are just a healthy fishery with fun fishing for both my kids as well as adults. I am not looking for trophy fish (even though the 9 pound LMB that is already in there would be considered one). I have kept LMB Rw for a few months and all are right at or above 100%. I don't want to make things complicated for my friends as a lot of times I won't even be there when they are fishing. It would be nice to be able to tell them anything between XX and XX inches take home and eat.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Establishing a Slot Limit for LMB - 04/02/18 10:07 PM
Are you catching all size classes of LMB? Catching a lot more of one size class than others?
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Establishing a Slot Limit for LMB - 04/02/18 11:13 PM
Originally Posted By: N.TexasHalfAcre
My goals are just a healthy fishery with fun fishing for both my kids as well as adults. I am not looking for trophy fish (even though the 9 pound LMB that is already in there would be considered one). I have kept LMB Rw for a few months and all are right at or above 100%. I don't want to make things complicated for my friends as a lot of times I won't even be there when they are fishing. It would be nice to be able to tell them anything between XX and XX inches take home and eat.

It's best to take some data on RW first and post it here.

We did that, and our rule of thumb is to keep all LMB less than 14" (regardless of weight). When I have guests I just cut a stick to length and hand it to them to use as a reference.
Bill,

I am catching a lot in the 13-14” range. I think these are mostly my stockers from last Spring. They are all cookie cutter with big fat bellies. Scatter in the occasional 17-20” existing fish.

With this being the first Spring that my stockers will spawn should I give them a few more months and not start taking any fish out until this Fall?
© Pond Boss Forum