Pond Boss
Posted By: Top 25 Help - 04/02/18 06:06 PM
I recently purchased a 4 acre pond built in 1970. Pond has constant water flowing in and out and stays at full level. The pond has largemouths small amount of bluegill and huge white crappie thst all average a pound. It is nothing to catch 20 or more large crappie in short time. We have caught two bass over 8 pounds but the majority of the bass are 10 inch fish. I have started keeping all bass under 12 inches. We have started taking out the crappie and plan to keep about 60 pounds this year. After fishing it we have only caught about 10 bluegill all 6 inch fish . I want more bluegill for the kids to fish but don’t think feertilizimg will do much good with constant water flow.can I stock more bluegill or will the crappie and bass eat all my bluegills before reaching size. Middle Georgia pond averages 12 feet deep.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Help - 04/02/18 07:04 PM
With lots of 10 inch bass, it sounds like you have a classic over=population of LMB. Withe the WCP in a small body of water, that may be a good thing and why you see so many nice size WCP and only a few LMB hogs.

Your only reasonable choice on adding BG that have any chance of not becoming expensive snacks is to stock some advanced sizes, over 5 inches.

I am sending you a PM....
© Pond Boss Forum