Pond Boss
Posted By: urbanGobig Pond leak - 07/10/17 01:16 PM
I had a builder dig a small pond for me at the end of last years summer. Well, it seems I've spotted a leak this summer on the bottom of the dam and wondering if anyone has encountered an issue like this?
I've dumped a 100lbs of bentonite clay along the rim but it doesn't seem to have had any effect....I am planning on dumping a few more hundred lbs of the stuff later today and see if I can make a difference.
I called my builder but I've got a funny feeling that he's not too concerned about helping me out.....if anyone has any stories they'd like to share, I'd appreciate any recommendations or advice....
Posted By: anthropic Re: Pond leak - 07/10/17 05:31 PM
Has the builder construct other dams, too? Did he make a core trench & use adequate amounts of clay?
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Pond leak - 07/10/17 08:30 PM
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=32849&Number=472446#Post472446

Sorry to hear about your leak issues...I help forum members find solutions for leaking ponds every week. Feel free to reach out anytime, my time/help is free to the PB family!

TJ
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pond leak - 07/11/17 10:15 AM
Agree with Anthropic. Was the dam properly cored or was dirt/clay just dumped in and mashed down? If it wasn't properly cored, it will always leak under the dam.
Posted By: urbanGobig Re: Pond leak - 07/11/17 07:09 PM
The reason I used this builder was because he was the guy our town of Jones used to repair their pond in park....seems he did a great job for our park.
The soil here in Oklahoma us mostly clay...not even sure what a core trench is, sorry
Posted By: urbanGobig Re: Pond leak - 07/11/17 07:12 PM
Thanks, not sure where you live but I am in oklahoma and I appreciate any help...I dumped 8 more bags of bentonite clay around the edges-several feet out, this morning.
Posted By: Rainman Re: Pond leak - 07/11/17 11:34 PM
urban, a core trench is in the center of a dam, and a "trench is dug into good quality clay. The "core" runs the entire length of the dam, from just above the full pool line, through the dam, and up the other side. This trench is filled in "lifts" of about 6 inches thick, and compacted with each layer being stitched together until above the full pool line. If your damn just had dirt piled on top of existing soil, water fill seep through and under the dam.

As for the person repairing your park lake, I have known a few great dirt movers that do as an engineer says on what, where, and how the earth is moved, but without someone telling them, they are clueless on how a pond is built properly.

Also, tracked equipment is by design, NOT compacting soil. It take wheeled earthmovers or a sheepsfoot roller/vibratory unit to get true compaction.

Finally, bentonite needs to be disced into marginal soils about 12 inches deep, and then compacted to seal. Pouring it in loose, I have never seen help seal.
Posted By: urbanGobig Re: Pond leak - 07/12/17 12:07 PM
Well that's a pretty good summary and it appears you have a good knowledge of what you speak....at least now I can quit throwing good money after bad money and I've enough experience in the courts to know, that too is a losing battle...
Thanks for the info
© Pond Boss Forum