Pond Boss
Posted By: JustinK Trapping Stunted Bluegill and Moving Them - 04/19/17 03:31 AM
Ive got thousands of stunted bluegill 2" long in my 1/2 acre catfish pond. My catfish don't even get to eat anymore because the bluegill wipe it out the feed as soon as my feeder goes off. Ive been trapping and moving them to a smaller old pond I have and have moved about 2000 so far, to make it a forage pond. There are still a lot in there. I think there are zero bass in the pond, if I could get a few 1 lb male bass in the pond I think it would help a lot. Any suggestion? Also I attached a picture of my water test strip what are yalls suggestions on that as well.

Attached picture IMG_7192.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7174.JPG
Come catch some bass from my pond and bring some BG along with ya. I got more bass and not enough BG to feed them.
Posted By: BrianL Re: Trapping Stunted Bluegill and Moving Them - 04/19/17 02:28 PM
I would think that is a great size to have for forage in your CC pond.
Justin,

I'm not a pro but IMO your water test strip results (if they are accurate) make me think you could really use some lime. Do you ever see a bloom? IMO I would address the low alkalinity number first. I read the strip as alkalinity is less than 20. Once the alkalinity number is up, you also may need to fertilize. The purpose of getting the alkalinity up and possibly fertilizing is to kick start the bottom of your food chain that I'm guessing may be nearly absent. Hopefully, one of the pros will chime in with an opinion.

Bill D.
Posted By: ewest Re: Trapping Stunted Bluegill and Moving Them - 04/20/17 01:45 AM
May need some lime. It has many pluses including less volatile water changes (less stress).
Yes I do think I need some lime for sure. My problem right now is that my catfish are no longer coming to my feeder because the bluegill wipe it out to quick. I passed the 3000 mark this morning on the number of blue gill trapped out of the pond, and they still devoured the food when the feeder went off.
Posted By: RER Re: Trapping Stunted Bluegill and Moving Them - 04/21/17 08:49 PM
that trap is awesome..

I looked up the design went to home depot and I am making one this weekend.
Posted By: snrub Re: Trapping Stunted Bluegill and Moving Them - 04/22/17 05:34 AM
I also like the trap.

A single LMB might help out with the BG removal without running the risk of LMB overpopulation.
Hybird strip bass there mouth is small enough to eat the small bluegills like in the trap but no the big gill and if you ever what to take them out there are good eating other wise get some for sure male LMB so they just eat blue gills and they dont spwan
Bobby,
Found this youtube video. It might help you and this guy's design helps you build 2 traps at the same time which saves lots of time!

Posted By: RER Re: Trapping Stunted Bluegill and Moving Them - 04/26/17 07:45 PM
I did it this exact one this weekend. I did make one change, I used 1/4' mesh for the bait holder as the 1/2" let the dog food and pellets float out.

it is catching smaller fish fine however the bigger ones do not go in it... do you have then same issue?
© Pond Boss Forum