Pond Boss
Posted By: Snakebite 3 days of hard fishing - 11/19/16 01:33 AM
Before this cold front comes through we needed to get out to the property and fish it hard. Only had 3 days and just made the goal to take as much fish out of 4 of our ponds as we could hook and line. Turned out to be a beautiful weekend with mild 70`s and mix of south/west winds. Totals for take were 38 LMB, 41 BG, 34 Black crappie, 3 flatheads, 6 CC, 19 albinos, and a total of 8 snapping turtles.
Posted By: Snakebite Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/19/16 01:47 AM

Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/19/16 01:53 AM
Those albino CC are so hard to obtain (at least here) that I am committed to leaving all of mine (fourteen stocked) in the pond indefinitely.
Posted By: Snakebite Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/19/16 01:57 AM

Posted By: Snakebite Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/19/16 02:07 AM

Posted By: Bill D. Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/19/16 02:19 AM
Now that is some awesome fishing! ......I love harvest time. That will be some fine eating! Well done man!
Posted By: Snakebite Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/19/16 02:21 AM

Posted By: Snakebite Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/19/16 02:29 AM

Posted By: Snakebite Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/19/16 02:35 AM
Originally Posted By: John F
Those albino CC are so hard to obtain (at least here) that I am committed to leaving all of mine (fourteen stocked) in the pond indefinitely.

Yes we love our Albinos. We have just shy of 300 stocked. 3 years ago this time. They have some interesting growth rates I can spot some in the 3lb range and some are well into the 12-18lb range. We were harvesting mainly the big bulls with large heads since we think they are putting a hit on our HBG.

Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Now that is some awesome fishing! ......I love harvest time. That will be some fine eating! Well done man!

We have plenty for a few fish dinners. Vacuum sealing and labeling is the key to keeping them straight in the freezer.
Posted By: John Fitzgerald Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/19/16 04:20 AM
Bass Pro might like one of those big albino CC to display in their big tank. How did you manage to obtain that many albino CC?
Posted By: snrub Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/19/16 04:31 AM
That is just way cool Snakebite! Thanks for posting such great pictures.
Posted By: scott69 Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/19/16 01:01 PM
how about the snapping turtles, were they big? i have put 3 or 4 in my pond and a soft shell turtle. i rarely see them. i would love to have a few big ones in my pond. i know a man that has 2 that look like they would weigh 100lbs. too neat.
Posted By: snrub Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/19/16 01:34 PM
laugh laugh

Many people think snapping turtles are the scourge of the pond! But the more enlightened pondmeisters that frequent PBF seem to be more tolerant. cool

Since I have a small seasonal stream right behind my main pond that leads to our major creek, the snapping turtles, at least one musk turtle and one huge softshell along with a variety of red ear sliders seem to come and go as they please. I might have several snapping turtles then none. I have had baby red ear sliders in the main pond, the sediment pond and forage ponds every year since they were built.

I don't know if you introduced them they would stay. They might if they like it there, but snappers have a propensity to roam.
Posted By: Zep Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/19/16 01:53 PM
love the albino cats! nice size!
Posted By: Snakebite Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/19/16 04:39 PM
Bass Pro might like one of those big albino CC to display in their big tank. How did you manage to obtain that many albino CC?

I should contact our Pyramid Bass Pro to see if they would be interested. We obtained these from a local who raises Green Sunfish,Shiners, CC which he gets a good mix of albinos he picked out for us.
Originally Posted By: scott69
how about the snapping turtles, were they big? i have put 3 or 4 in my pond and a soft shell turtle. i rarely see them. i would love to have a few big ones in my pond. i know a man that has 2 that look like they would weigh 100lbs. too neat.

I honestly don't mind snapping turtles, but they do rip into our netting cages and steal from our night time jugs. So I prefer not to have many if any in these ponds. On a plus I have a family member who knows how to harvest the meat and makes a really good white meat feast. Most of ours are in that 20-30lb range
Posted By: Cray Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/20/16 12:00 PM
I have been so busy working that I haven't been able to wet a line in six weeks, but after seeing this I am going to take the time today. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Snakebite Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/20/16 01:42 PM
Originally Posted By: Cray
I have been so busy working that I haven't been able to wet a line in six weeks, but after seeing this I am going to take the time today. Thanks for sharing.

Cray please do so. Also post some pictures of some of those monster CNBG if you catch any.
Posted By: ToddM Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/21/16 03:46 AM
I turned my 12 year old nephew lose in our pond and told him to catch all the fish he could. 3 hours and 29 fish later he caught us a fish fry. No albinos!

Posted By: Snakebite Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/21/16 12:58 PM
Todd, it looks like he wore them out. I spot some nice HBG in there too.
Posted By: djstauder Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/21/16 01:24 PM
It makes a Monday work morning more tolerable to see great (and a great many) fish pictures. Thanks for posting!
Posted By: highflyer Re: 3 days of hard fishing - 11/21/16 05:21 PM
Those harvests look good. It is time to take a few as well.
© Pond Boss Forum