Pond Boss
Posted By: Willbilly Identify this fish? - 08/01/16 01:55 AM
A small mouth bass?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Identify this fish? - 08/01/16 02:14 AM
Black crappie.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Identify this fish? - 08/01/16 12:48 PM
+1 BCP
Posted By: Willbilly Re: Identify this fish? - 08/01/16 03:54 PM
Well damn. This is an undesirable fish to have in a pond. Thanks for identifying it for me.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Identify this fish? - 08/01/16 03:57 PM
Crappie can work well in ponds with the correct habitat and plenty of small & medium bass predation of their offspring.
Posted By: Willbilly Re: Identify this fish? - 08/01/16 04:07 PM
So far I have only seen a TON of bluegill and a few of these black crappie. No sign of bass. Is there a difference between bluegill and a bluegill with yellow belly?
Posted By: RER Re: Identify this fish? - 08/01/16 04:14 PM
blue gill with a yellow belly is probably a male BG in breeding colors.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Identify this fish? - 08/01/16 05:51 PM
Many BG with a yellow belly are females whereas those with copper or orangeish colored 'bellies' are males.
Posted By: RER Re: Identify this fish? - 08/01/16 06:40 PM
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Many BG with a yellow belly are females whereas those with copper or orangeish colored 'bellies' are males.

now that you point that out , you are correct., I was really just thinking brightly colored belly not the actual color. Females do tend to have yellowish "bellies" and not as bright

Males tend to be more orange or copper colored and "can" be more bright when in spawn colors.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Identify this fish? - 08/02/16 02:18 AM
On the upside...that's not a bad size crappie...unless you wear size 4 boots!
Posted By: Willbilly Re: Identify this fish? - 08/02/16 12:09 PM
Size 12, actually.
Posted By: dg84s Re: Identify this fish? - 08/02/16 02:41 PM
Invite some friends over for a Crappie Eradication Party. Tell 'em to bring cantaloupe and hush puppies. Crappie is the flounder of fresh water. Nothing tastes better. I'll bring the sweet tea.
Posted By: Willbilly Re: Identify this fish? - 08/02/16 03:40 PM
While trying to assess and decide whether or not to kill the fish and start over or not, I'm puzzled by an observation. Obviously I should seine the pond in order to have a better idea of what is in there; but of the countless fish I've caught so far, most of them are bluegill of *this* size or smaller. If crappie are the problem breeders I have read about, wouldn't I have seen young crappie?
Posted By: djstauder Re: Identify this fish? - 08/03/16 01:50 PM
Perhaps you have an overpopulation of BG???
Posted By: North40 Re: Identify this fish? - 08/03/16 02:27 PM
Hello Willbilly. I rarely catch BCP fishing for SF using baits as I see in the photo above. I use smaller fatheads on a jig for crappies. Seems like I have the best luck on a pink/white combination colored jig.

If they are very active I just cast and retrieve, when they are not so active I'll slow the retrieve under a slip-bobber adjusting it until I find the right depth, but always keep it moving.

Good luck, that's a nice crappie in the first photo!
Posted By: fresh start Re: Identify this fish? - 08/07/16 07:18 PM
willbilly i live in Roanoke va what and am renovating a 1 1/2 acrepond that is 20 years old what fish type should i count as undesirable
Posted By: Willbilly Re: Identify this fish? - 08/11/16 08:01 PM
Hi Fresh Start. I am by no means an expert, but I found a very instructive PDF that the state of Tennessee provides regarding pond management. The material labled Black Crappie as an undesirable fish for ponds (especially when mixed with Bass) because it breeds before Bass and can overpopulate a pond's available food resources.
Posted By: Willbilly Re: Identify this fish? - 08/11/16 08:05 PM
Other fish this PDF indicated as undesirable were White Crappie, Yellow bullhead, Black bullhead, Shad, and Golden Shiners.
© Pond Boss Forum