Pond Boss
Posted By: Bill D. Keep or eat? - 11/27/14 12:17 AM
In the latest PB magazine Bob did a great article on looking at physical attributes and knowing which bass has potential to be a trophy and returned to the water and which bass should be harvested. Are there similar resources with guidelines on other fish such as BG and YP that help with determining whether you toss your catch back or harvest?

Bob,

If you read this thread, a series of articles providing info on desirable physical attributes of other species would be fantastic!

Bill D.
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Keep or eat? - 11/27/14 02:25 AM
Speaking strictly as an amateur, when it comes to bluegills I like to see a saucer shape body dynamic...a fish that is nearly as tall as it is round. I also want a small eye size, as an indicator of age, and smaller fins in proportion to the rest of the body, which may indicate a fast growing specimen.

An immature male that displays these traits suggests to me that the fish has positive traits, and the potential for enhanced growth.
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Keep or eat? - 11/28/14 10:45 PM
Thanks Sprkplug,

Know anything about YP? I am wondering if you can follow similar guidelines as Bob gave in this issue of PB magazine for LMB?
© Pond Boss Forum