Pond Boss
Posted By: Hesperus Fish recording day - 07/22/14 02:20 PM
Went out for a bit of fishing this past weekend. Did a once around with 3 of us in the boat mostly targeting gills. Bass action was slow, small gills were crazy with lots of swallowed hooks. A couple larger ones, one of which I measured:

Here's what I recorded:

LMB

12.5" 15oz

11.5" 11 oz

12" 12oz

13.5" 1# 1oz

12" 11 oz

13" 1# 7 oz

Gill

8" 6 oz

This was using a Berkley digital. I did not verify calibration but hope to some time.

Looks like the bass are quite variable in weights with a couple nice plumpers, a some average, and a couple even below average.

There are a lot of small fish hanging out on the bog edge where it's safest. I managed to catch a lone YOY perch in my trap at a guesstimated 1-1/4" length. I've had 2" LMB as well as 1/2" class YOY LMB. Caught some 8" class LMB on recent trips as well so a pretty good group of age classes. Gills as short as 2-3" caught hook and line. Some 4" some 6", and some 8" this trip. Had some 1-1/2" class young of last year hanging around this spring as well.

Seems we have several age classes of each species (except for perch) so reproduction is going well. I have a water sample out to the lab to test nutrient available and hope to hear back soon. Still working on distribution of the lime pile. I think my pump is going to do well just need the manpower to get out the long hose and the boat to get longer range.

I was surprised to see a loon on the water Friday night also. I did not think that could get up enough steam to launch off our small 7 acres especially with all the surrounding trees.
Posted By: DNickolaus Re: Fish recording day - 07/22/14 04:06 PM
I'll be the broken record. Please remember to take horizontal gape measurements. Across the width of the mouth! Small fish too.
Sounds like a good time even if they were smallish and swallowed hooks.

Cody Note: I'm glad to see I have someone on my side helping encourage for mouth gape measurements. Thanks to all who help with this.
© Pond Boss Forum