Pond Boss
Posted By: BonZoso Bass fry predation - 07/21/14 04:17 PM
I've been wondering about this since starting my 1/2 acre pond several years ago. My pond has LB, BG, YP, and GS. I've only been harvesting LB and BG. Every year I have perch fry but never catch any small perch. Same with the shiners. The now 10" shiners spawn all the time but I never see any of the small ones. I'm assuming the predators(LB and Large YP) eat all the fry before growing large enough to catch. Why then do I consistently have Bass and BG fry that make it to maturity every year. I realize this is a small pond and difficult to manage but I was just wondering what makes LB and BG fry so elusive to the predators. I have plenty structure and vegetation for fry hide outs.
Posted By: RER Re: Bass fry predation - 07/21/14 05:38 PM
LMB abd BG parents guard the nest....This helps a lot in My opnion...
Posted By: ewest Re: Bass fry predation - 07/22/14 01:08 PM
It may well be the survey method. Fishing is just one , and not the best, survey method for small fish. Have you done a seine survey.

How do the small LMB (6-12 inch) and BG look. They will reflect your forage base. If LMB are skinny you may have a problem.
Posted By: BonZoso Re: Bass fry predation - 07/22/14 09:02 PM
Not wondering if i have a problem, I think I do! lots of skinny 8-10 in bass. Thing is, every year I see plenty of 1-2" bass and BG, but not YP or GS, even though I know they are spawning. Ive seen the baitballs in early spring. I catch 6- 12 inch perch and throw them back. No harvesting. I would, in my uneducated state, wonder why I have skinny bass and a few big bruisers, and still see bass and bg fry and fingerlings. Why do I see any small fish at all, with an overabundance of bass.
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Bass fry predation - 07/23/14 01:17 AM
Are you pellet feeding? You might want to try FH minnows for bait. Don't be afraid to dump extra minnows in the spring and fall in your pond.
Posted By: BonZoso Re: Bass fry predation - 07/23/14 02:21 PM
Not pellet fed. Vacation home and not there on a regular bassis.
© Pond Boss Forum