Pond Boss
Posted By: Serrecko Bala ShIarks In Koi Ponds? - 06/22/14 10:29 PM
Hi folks,

I have 5 Bala Sharks in two 125 Gallon freshwater fish tanks in my basement. I have had the for about 2 years and they are getting HUGE. The biggest of the 5 is about 9 inches long and I feel bad keeping him in such a small tank. (Small is not that small. It's a 125 gallon five foot tank, but I know if I was a fish, I would be bored.)

Anyway, I need some advice.

I am thinking about putting 3 of the Balas in my Koi Pond for the summer. I live in Virginia and our pond freezes over each winter, and the Koi are fine, and I know I would have to bring the Balas back in, but the question is.....

Is it okay to do what I am thinking about doing? Mainly putting the big guys into the Koi Pond during the summer months?

I also know he will just get bigger, but I was planning on building an indoor pond for the sharks during the winter months. I just want to give them more space for the most part.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Serrecko
Posted By: esshup Re: Bala ShIarks In Koi Ponds? - 06/23/14 04:22 AM
I don't have any experience doing what you are proposing, but I would think that if you could monitor the outside water temp, and keep them in their preferred temp range, they would do O.K.
Posted By: liquidsquid Re: Bala ShIarks In Koi Ponds? - 06/23/14 08:15 PM
I would mostly worry about the chance of escape in a flood situation, and then perhaps becoming an invasive issue.
Posted By: RER Re: Bala ShIarks In Koi Ponds? - 06/23/14 08:39 PM
Originally Posted By: liquidsquid
I would mostly worry about the chance of escape in a flood situation, and then perhaps becoming an invasive issue.

winter would kill them
© Pond Boss Forum