Pond Boss
Posted By: Shorty Seine Survey Today - 08/11/13 06:52 PM
One short pass with the seine net in the corner of the dam this afternoon resulted in a lot of BF tadpoles, YOY GSH, RES from both this years hatch and last year, and one SMB from this years hatch.

2012 RES

2012 RES Size variance

2012 RES

2013 RES

2013 SMB
Posted By: Shorty Re: Seine Survey Today - 08/11/13 07:09 PM
A few more pictures.

RES with a few GSH accidently mixed in.

Posted By: fish n chips Re: Seine Survey Today - 08/11/13 07:36 PM
So what do you think on the RES? That first one's eye looks as big as the second ones. Does that make it stunted?

What size seine do you have and what depths are you working in?

Thanks.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Seine Survey Today - 08/11/13 08:03 PM
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
So what do you think on the RES? That first one's eye looks as big as the second ones. Does that make it stunted?

Maybe, with GSH present there is a lot of competition for your basic aquatic groceries plus snails are noticabley absent this year.

Originally Posted By: fish n chips
What size seine do you have and what depths are you working in?

Thanks.

25 ft long seine net working in no more than 3ft of water.
Posted By: highflyer Re: Seine Survey Today - 08/11/13 08:28 PM
Shorty,
How was the water temps? Were you concerned about stressing your fish this time of year? Did you remove any of those fish?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Seine Survey Today - 08/11/13 09:01 PM
Water temps are 77-78 degrees so they shouldn't have been too stressed, the only the exception were the YOY GSH whose heads got stuck in the netting.

Most of the GHS and all of the BF tadpoles went right back in the pond. The RES are going in my small RAS tank temporarily for someone who is looking for a few. The one SMB will go back in the pond shortly once I have everything sorted.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Seine Survey Today - 08/11/13 09:37 PM
Good growth on the YOY SMB.
Posted By: Shorty Re: Seine Survey Today - 08/11/13 10:47 PM
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Good growth on the YOY SMB.

The one SMB I seined out of the pond today is slightly larger than the one I seined out of the pond and put in with my RES at the begining of July. The one in my tank is now roughly 3-1/2", the one from todays seine survey was 3-3/4"+.

Toad Tadpole Hatch & SMB Hatch Coincide [Re
Posted By: ewest Re: Seine Survey Today - 08/12/13 12:23 AM
Nice job Shorty. That is one good seine haul. Any small 1 inch SMB in that haul ?
Posted By: Shorty Re: Seine Survey Today - 08/12/13 12:39 AM
Originally Posted By: ewest
Nice job Shorty. That is one good seine haul. Any small 1 inch SMB in that haul ?

No 1 inch SMB, no YOY YP either.

Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Seine Survey Today - 08/12/13 03:37 AM
Looking at that seine makes my fingers cramp! Nicely done Steve - Happy for your SMB reproduction. I'm glad I won't be messing with a seine this Fall for once.
© Pond Boss Forum