Pond Boss
Posted By: Rainman Electrofishing? - 06/28/07 08:53 AM
I have extremely muddy water and would like to know the damage it has caused to my 1 year old pond. How do I shock the fish and not myself? I stocked with BG,NLMB,RES,CC,And 20lbs 3"FHM. This is at a 1/6 stocking rate for an aerated pond in the Mo.Ozarks. Is there a better way to check my fish poulation? For me I'm positve there are safer ways. Maybe I should tell the kids to do it.....LOL
Thanks for any help
Rex
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Electrofishing? - 06/28/07 12:27 PM
DIY electrofishing is NOT a good idea. Safe, effective e-fishing rigs are pretty expensive.

Are there fairly shallow (less than 4-5 feet) areas without obstructions near shore where you can seine? Seining you could have the kids help with, if they're big enough.
Posted By: ewest Re: Electrofishing? - 06/28/07 01:53 PM
When did you stock the fish ? Boat mounted e-fishers should only be used by experienced operators - way to dangerous for others and the fish. Back pack e-fishers are for very limited use in small streams and waters and can be very dangerous. As Theo noted seining is a much better method for folks like us as is trapping. Electricity and water when mixed can be a real shocking experience !! \:o

Others here can better address hand crank phone systems.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Electrofishing? - 06/28/07 05:12 PM
I'm not sure of the conductivity of muddy water. Does the suspended stuff effect the current?
Posted By: Rainman Re: Electrofishing? - 06/29/07 01:55 AM
Thanks guys,
I guess i just needed someone other than my wife telling me rather politely that I'm an idiot.
No more thought of discovering the conductivity of muddy water (or my butt)!
I've included some pics of my pond after reworking part of the dam and will try to add prespective to them.
The top photo looks at the only possible area to seine but it drops to 10' about 20' from the current waterline. The only obstruction would be aerater tubing. I guess we could stretch a seine out in that area and try to close off one end like a corral?
The second and third photos show most of the 550' long 27' high dam. The rootballs in the middle average 8' in diameter and are set on an 80' long 5' high berm. the water level will be at the top of the barrel feeder once the pool refills to about 4.2 acres. BTW that cedar tree next to the 8'long pelican boat, was 30' tall and over 20 feet in diameter when I cut it last month.

The reason I want to discover the fish condition is that we caught several BG around the feeder (1st fishing since stocked in 5/06) and the we only caught a few BG about 6" but they had no color they were like the inside of an oyster shell. The water has been very muddy since about 9/06 shortly after we added our bass. Should I be worried about the health of the bass and others?. Also I have only seen small 30-50 fry FH schools lately--last summer we had 5' balls of young around the feeder. Thanks again and sorry for being longwinded but this pond is a lifelong dream of mine and I don't want to screw it up.
I almost forgot...My fish suddenly quit coming to the feeder.

Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Electrofishing? - 06/29/07 02:25 AM
 Quote:
Originally posted by Rainman:
No more thought of discovering the conductivity of ... my butt
:D Typically the resistance will be on the order of 100 to 150 Kohm; somewhat less if sweaty.
© Pond Boss Forum