Pond Boss
Posted By: railrunner07 pond evaluation - 06/14/07 01:27 AM
Hello all and thanks in advance for this great website. I just found it and i love it. so much great info. Ill try not to rehash what so many people have asked and answered previously.
I have 1 1/2 ac pond in s. iowa. 25 feet max dept, aveg probly 12-15ft, lots of trees surround it, clarity is about 12" during summer, good vegetation and structure on bottum, pond is 25 years old. Positives-lots of med to large bg, good cat size, have caught several 5-10 lb over each of last 2 years i owned it. have observed swimming large cats-30-40". have not caught any of those yet, cats have proven to be elusive. negatives-lmb are overpopulated and stunted. mostly catch 6-12" lmb, nothing bigger, and lots of them. fish are spawning fine, have had pond overflow 3 times this year, found lots and lots of bg , lmb fry which washed out. been trying to fish out small lmb, if i read right take all below 12". I have read many solutions here, all seem to be in south. was wondering if the suggestions still work up here in iowa. thanks again
Posted By: ewest Re: pond evaluation - 06/14/07 02:35 AM
Taking out fish works north , south , east and west.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: pond evaluation - 06/14/07 11:10 AM
I recently discussed this situation with a guy from up North. I told him, no matter where you are, a pond is like a pasture. If you overstock with livestock, you soon have no forage and skinny cows.

The biggest danger I have found is loving your fish to death. Catch and release only works in public bodies of water.
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: pond evaluation - 06/14/07 01:09 PM
Welcome railrunner...I'm in S.E. Iowa (midpoint between Burlington and Iowa City).

Culling those medium to small sized bass will work. How are the bluegill (BG) in your pond? I'd have to guess with all your predators, they are nice-sized...

What else is in there? Crappie? Flatheads, maybe?
Posted By: railrunner07 Re: pond evaluation - 06/17/07 03:24 AM
yes, i have a really nice population of blue gill. i can catch all day long with most really good size. I dont have any crappie, at least i have not caught any since i have owned it. I believe i have a good population of flatheads and channels, although i am still a rookie on figuring out how to catch them. I have never fished for cats until I bought this property, so i am still figuring that out. I guess thats the fun of it all. thanks for the replies.
Posted By: Matt Clark Re: pond evaluation - 06/18/07 12:30 PM
Rail:

For CC and FH, try a 3" bluegill under a large bobber about sundown. It's a blast when you get one to strike. I use circle hooks (4/0 or so) with a stinger.

I've also had good luck on stinkbait, but I usually suspend it under a bobber as well, as they'res no current to spread the odor. It's a blast.

Good luck. Where you located?
© Pond Boss Forum