Pond Boss
Posted By: ewest Evaluate new 10-28 yoy - 10/28/06 09:50 PM
Anyone want to evaluate these 10-28 yoy fry for species , age or anything else. There are many thousands all around the edges of one pond. The water temps 2 weeks ago were 65 surface to 62 at 5 ft. Will get current temps tomorrow. Thanks. \:\)

Edit current water temps are 61 surface , 59 3ft and 58 all other depths.

Prior 8-06 post same subject w/ pics.

http://www.pondboss.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=7&t=000374

Last winter same topic w/ pics

http://www.pondboss.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000290#000003
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Evaluate new 10-28 yoy - 10/29/06 02:48 AM
I think mostly Lepomis, Eric, although in the 3rd pic, the full side view on the left side looks different - more elongated.

My ignorant judgement is that they're not too old; if they were in my pond in mid-Summer I'd guess 2-3 weeks tops. Maybe a little older in your case due to lower temps.

I'm interested in what Cody and the other experts think.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Evaluate new 10-28 yoy - 10/29/06 11:41 AM
I believe them to all be Lepomis (BG). However, at this stage of life, they change week by week. I would unexpertly guess them to be about 3 to 4 weeks. Within about 2 weeks, they should turn into the quarter size look of a BG.

I got something like these a couple of years ago when seining a forage pond. I kept them and they all changed into BG when they hit about 1+ inch.

As usual, I could certainly be wrong.
Posted By: ewest Re: Evaluate new 10-28 yoy - 10/29/06 01:20 PM
Thanks guys I think you are right. Dave they appear to be right at the age where most have changed to little saucers while a few aren’t there quite yet. I think this account for Theo's observation that one are two look a little different (long and thin - 3rd pic)

I am starting to wonder if this pond has freakish (Frankenbruceish) BG. Since I started the growout experiment 3 years ago we have had a normal spring (4-5 mth/time) spawn and had a late spawn (late Aug/Sept) one and a freakishly late Oct/Nov spawn. It seems these BG not only spawn when the water temps hit 70 on the way up but also have a last go at it when it hits 70 on the way down. They must be oversexed or . This happens even though our water temps are generally 5+- degrees cooler ( March - Oct) than most ponds around here. I saw no evidence of an Oct spawn big enough to produce these numbers even with the clearing water.

I guess I should be glad for the extra forage but I don't want BG crowded stunting as a result. No sign of this yet in RWs . Anyone else see anything like this?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Evaluate new 10-28 yoy - 10/29/06 03:22 PM
At that size, I doubt that very many will get the chance to stunt. Most predators will be going on an eating binge in prep for winter. Just call them Whataburgers.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Evaluate new 10-28 yoy - 10/30/06 12:17 AM
From what I can see clearly they are all Lepomis; esp 1, 3, 4,&5. I base my ID on the position of the anal vent. I am not sure of the species. It is doubtful that RES spawned this late in the year.
© Pond Boss Forum