Pond Boss
Posted By: bowjo Pics of my pond fish - 06/15/10 05:16 PM
Thought I would show some pics of my fish and what I think they are.Please correct me if I am wrong.Any other comments are welcome whistle
A small YP

A couple of my small HSB

Those were my easy ones!!!
A couple dreaded BG

Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/15/10 05:21 PM
Here are my larger HBG???

This one is colorfull!!!!

Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/15/10 05:25 PM
Here are my smaller HBG????

Posted By: Omaha Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/15/10 05:38 PM
Great pics bowjo! And I think you're correct on the species IDs, but someone who really knows what they're looking at could verify.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/15/10 05:39 PM
So were all of these in the same stocking?

It is interesting to see the variations in some of them. And it looks like the 2 BG may even be different.

When were these fished stocked again?

Pretty interesting stuff, I hope we hear from the experts on these.

Thanks for the pics.
Posted By: burgermeister Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/15/10 06:07 PM
IDs look good to me. The 2 BG do look different. The bottom one looks to be younger and eating better. Note the smallish head and particularly tail, compared to the body. Good looking hybrids.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/15/10 06:13 PM
I'm in agreement, all the ID's look good. Some nice looking fish there!
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/15/10 10:22 PM
Thanks everyone.It is amazing what this pond has turned to in the few months it has been full.I can't believe how fast the fish are growing.they are all very fat and healthy.I want to thank everyone on this site for all the help selecting fish and maintaining my pond.I don't believe my pond would be anything like it is if I had not found this site.Special thanks to you guys that suggested HBG and HSB,they are a blast just watching them eat......Joe
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/16/10 01:30 AM
So how long did it take to get them to this size and how big are they now?
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Pics of my pond fish - 07/20/10 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: bowjo
Here are my larger HBG???

This one is colorfull!!!!

Do you happen to have any updated pictures you could post, just wondering if htey have grown much since you are feeding them.

Thanks
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: Pics of my pond fish - 07/20/10 04:35 PM
Originally Posted By: MRHELLO

Do you happen to have any updated pictures you could post, just wondering if htey have grown much since you are feeding them.

Thanks

Given that these were taken only a month ago, I'm guessing there's not any real appreciable change, mrhello. That's not a whole lot of time for substantial growth.
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Pics of my pond fish - 07/20/10 08:51 PM
I guess it is not, I just thought that if his happen to vary in size like mine do he may have a large one in the mix somewhere.

Oh well I guess we will see some updates when they are available.

Thanks
Posted By: dave in el dorado ca Re: Pics of my pond fish - 07/21/10 12:49 AM
sweet pics......a litte side comment from the peanut gallery......i always like to see some sort of scale in the pic whether it be a tape, finger, quarter, pocket knife. no worries, i am VERY guilty of this as well.

gorgeous lookin fish bowjo.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Pics of my pond fish - 07/21/10 12:56 AM
As a bluegill lover why are the bluegill "dreaded?" frown
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 07/21/10 07:17 AM
I like Bluegill Cecil...They were just not part of the plan for this pond though.I hope my HSB can keep their population in control... whistle
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/18/10 09:12 PM
Ok now we are about 2 months out, have your fish grown anymore and do you happen to have some updated pics?
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 09/10/10 02:41 AM
Thought I would show a couple updated pics.I can't believe I caught a 13" HSB.These fish are all very fat..Joe

Posted By: Sunil Re: Pics of my pond fish - 09/10/10 12:14 PM
That HSB looks real healthy!
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Pics of my pond fish - 09/10/10 01:31 PM
That is a nice HSB, I sure would like a few of those as extras in my pond.

It is interesting to see the different variations of your HBG.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Pics of my pond fish - 09/10/10 02:33 PM
Great looking fish bowjo!
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 05/09/11 01:40 AM
Just thought I would update the HBG are about 8+".The average HSB are about 12".I also caught a nice 8" redear.....Joe
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 05/09/11 01:42 AM

Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Pics of my pond fish - 05/09/11 02:26 AM
Very nice...
Posted By: MRHELLO Re: Pics of my pond fish - 05/09/11 03:39 PM
This sure makes me want to get out to my pond and check it out. I have had the feeder up about 3+ weeks so probably need to get out and check on it.

I only set it on 2 seconds but not sure how much food it trows in that time or how much the bucket will even hold.

May just buy some to be safe since it is so far to get out there to begin with.

Thanks
Posted By: Clayton Re: Pics of my pond fish - 05/09/11 05:02 PM
Nice lookin' fish. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/23/11 01:19 AM
A few more updates...

Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/23/11 01:21 AM

Posted By: adirondack pond Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/23/11 01:32 AM
Nice fish variety.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/23/11 01:55 AM
Very nice!
Posted By: Sunil Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/23/11 12:17 PM
+1 and +1!
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/03/12 11:53 PM
new Updates this year

Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/03/12 11:55 PM
few more

Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/03/12 11:59 PM
All my little fish are growing up.The striper in the pic is one of the smallest in the pond.I guess the rest of them must have got camera shy on picture day.I also caught some smaller RES and HBG or BG/HBG crosses....Joe
Posted By: Zep Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/04/12 01:00 AM
bowjo...some great fish. Just curious are you catching the hybrid striped bass on lures or bait? The reason I ask is I am considering adding them to my pond but some have told me hybrid stiped bass are great the first year, but then become very lure shy?
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/04/12 01:19 AM
Nice pics Bowjo. I believe the second photo could be a female HBG.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/04/12 02:49 AM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Nice pics Bowjo. I believe the second photo could be a female HBG.

I agree.
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/04/12 03:12 AM
Zep,the reason I couldn't get a pic of the bigger HSB was I just couldn't get one to bite lures or bait.I don't know how many I have,15-40 possibly?It seems all my HSB have 1 brain between them.If I introduce a new lure they have not seen before I may catch 1 to 3 of them at the most.Then you might as well put that lure away for the rest of the year.I rarely ever catch on it again.I think with enough fishing that there are live baits I could use and catch them.Eventually when I have to remove some I will stop feeding for a while before trying to catch them.They are the biggest feed hogs in the little pond.
Sparkplug,I don't know how to sex HBG.I got alot of smaller fish that I don't even know if they are HBG,HBG/BG,or HBG/RES.This next generation seems a little mixed.
It is amazing what can happen in just two years.This pond was just filled in 2010.The fish were stocked sometime from 4/10 to6/10.I have really learned alot from this site..Thanks for looking everyone
Posted By: FullCircleTx Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/04/12 03:34 AM
Great looking fish!
Posted By: esshup Re: Pics of my pond fish - 06/04/12 04:10 AM
Nice fish! I doubt that you'll lose that ruler. wink
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/09/15 02:34 PM
Just thought I would do a new update.
It has been a couple of years since I posted.My fish are now 5 years old.I have hybrid bluegill that weigh 1 1/2#'s,HSB that range from 3 to 5#'s,and regular bluegill that weigh 3/4#'s.
Thanks to everyone here that helped make this small pond such a success.This website has made me the envy of other pond owners who took the wrong advice.Hope you all look through this post and enjoy the fish growth pics with me..........Joe
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/09/15 02:36 PM
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/09/15 02:36 PM
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/09/15 02:37 PM
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/09/15 02:41 PM
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/09/15 02:43 PM
Sorry about the poor quality of the pics.I was trying to take pics in the sun with my cellphone and not harm the fish.I will try to get some help with some more pics this evening....Thanks
Posted By: sprkplug Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/09/15 03:57 PM
Great fish! One recommendation....try a different scale for weighing those bluegills, hybrid or otherwise. Accuracy is tough on a scale intended to weigh 15-50 lbs.

Very nice results!
Posted By: snrub Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/09/15 07:14 PM
Great looking fish bowjo. Those HBG have really grown well. Hope I have some that big in a few years.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/09/15 10:13 PM
Well done
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/09/15 11:49 PM
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Great fish! One recommendation....try a different scale for weighing those bluegills, hybrid or otherwise. Accuracy is tough on a scale intended to weigh 15-50 lbs.

Very nice results!

Ditto. I think that one fish that is larger than your hand is probably larger than a pound.
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/10/15 12:24 AM
If you look at the scale it is on 1 pound 7oz.I double checked that scale tonight with 2 smaller kitchen scales.I couldn't believe how accurate it was on these fish.It is reading within 1 oz.
Went back out tonight and caught 2 that were 1pound 10 oz.Aslo caught a couple 1 1/2 pounders.Couldn't get a striper caught though.
more pics on the way...Thanks everyone
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/10/15 12:42 AM
1 pound 10oz HB
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/10/15 12:43 AM
Bluegill
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/10/15 12:45 AM
Redear
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/10/15 12:49 AM
1 pound 11 oz HB
Posted By: bowjo Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/10/15 12:52 AM
None of the fish were hurt.All the blood you see is mine.These fish are hard to handle when they get this big and there spines are big and sharp....Joe
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/10/15 12:55 AM
Nice fish bowjo! You're doing something right! And great job on diversity of species!

My bad the scale looked like 1 lb. 0 oz. to me.

Posted By: ewest Re: Pics of my pond fish - 08/10/15 05:16 PM
All of those fish are in very good condition. Nice work.
© Pond Boss Forum