Pond Boss
Posted By: Steven Bates BG populations - 04/22/10 05:32 PM
In an effort to try and get a count of my BG population, I began feeding last week. Yesterday was the best day yet, however I'm not seeing more than 5 or 6 adult bluegill at each feeding. I'm seeing upwards of a hundred juveniles anywhere from 1-5 inches but the 6in+ BG aren't showing up. Could they be there and just not feeding like the smaller ones? Or is it more likely that I don't have a large population of adults? If so, how would you guys recommend stocking to get a healthy population growing? BTW the pond is roughly 3/4 acre and probably 70+ years old and I'm in the process of renovating it.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: BG populations - 04/23/10 01:22 AM
I'm betting that you have them. Have you gone several places with the feed to see what happens?
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: BG populations - 04/23/10 02:09 AM
My largest bluegills aren't as surface oriented as my smaller ones. In fact they want it hydrated and slow sinking.

When I tried a Bug Light to attract bluegills and throw bugs onto the water surface I never did have my biggest bluegills come up to feed. Only the smallest bluegills did.

Is this the first year you've fed?
Posted By: catmandoo Re: BG populations - 04/23/10 02:11 AM
Every season it takes several weeks of feeding before I have BG feeding frenzies. It seems like they have to re-learn about pellets every springtime. I wouldn't worry. They'll learn about free lunches.
Posted By: MarkS Re: BG populations - 04/23/10 03:43 AM
Last year noticed about July/August the BG at feeder appeared to be smaller (different BG). This sort of confused me was I dreaming, had LMB nailed originals or had new actually wondered in with larger ones leaving. Is this normal occurrence?
Posted By: Steven Bates Re: BG populations - 04/23/10 01:02 PM
Yesterday I had around 10 8in + BG show up along with the endless little guys. Seems like more are showing up every day. Also yesterday I left my dog in the pen which kept him from muddying up the water and I was able to see a lot better. I'm going to monitor the progress for another week or so and I'll keep everyone posted. And Yes this is the first year I've fed.
Posted By: ewest Re: BG populations - 04/23/10 02:41 PM
BG can be adults at 4 inches. Keep feeding and see if the population size gets better. The bigger fish could be spawning.
Posted By: rcn11thacr Re: BG populations - 04/23/10 10:36 PM
Ewest, How can 4 inch bg be adults? I'm not doubting, just want to learn about something i have never heard before.
Posted By: ewest Re: BG populations - 04/24/10 01:53 AM
Many fish species can reach functional adulthood well before they reach max size or even full size. BG can spawn at 3 to 4 inches under certain circumstances. That is the main factor in adulthood in fish. In crowded conditions (stunted small fish - low food vols.) or ponds with lots of open carrying capacity small BG will start spawning.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: BG populations - 04/24/10 10:55 AM
Those "certain circumstances" involve warm water, sunshine, and a BG of the opposite sex.
Posted By: rcn11thacr Re: BG populations - 04/24/10 12:33 PM
How old would these bg be to be considered adults? How old to start spawning "under the right conditions" anyway.
Posted By: ewest Re: BG populations - 04/24/10 01:41 PM
I have seen them spawn at 4 mths old and about 4 inches. Also at 4 inches and about 3 years old.
Posted By: rcn11thacr Re: BG populations - 04/24/10 04:44 PM
So, considering where i live, the fact that my res/bg were 1.5 inches when they were put in this jan 7th. In a new pond that so far seems to be doing very well with gam/fhms btw. Could my bg that are 4in or so size be spawning very soon?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: BG populations - 04/24/10 05:16 PM
Yes, you're BG will be spawning soon. If they are 4" and in a newly stocked pond, they're going to be trying to fill up the the biomass.
Posted By: rcn11thacr Re: BG populations - 04/25/10 08:50 AM
I am pleased with your answer, thank you kindly sir!
Posted By: ewest Re: BG populations - 04/25/10 12:17 PM
I agree with CJ. Plus in most parts of Fla they can spawn most of the year due to temps. in the right situation.
Posted By: Steven Bates Re: BG populations - 04/26/10 03:48 PM
Through the weekend I would say that pretty much the same group is showing up.... I'm counting 8-10 big BG and roughly 100-150 small ones....tough to count 'em all so I'm just guessing.
© Pond Boss Forum