Pond Boss
Posted By: FarmerRick Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/18/10 12:19 PM
I am on a mission to cull the overcrowded LMB out of my pond. I am also on a budget. I also like quality stuff. I know . Is there an ultralight spinning combo that is good quality and value? Seems that someone told me to avoid the BPS branded UL combo. Maybe Cabelas?

Or, if not in a combo, which UL rod and reel specifically?

For my heavier fishing, last year, TJ suggested the BPS Extreme rod and the Symetre reel and i love that combination. Thanks.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/18/10 12:43 PM
How much do you want to spend, FarmerRick?
Posted By: skinnybass Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/18/10 01:53 PM
when my UL broke i replaced it this year with the cabellas Brand UL combo, single piece graphite rod, good reel on it, i think it was just around 35 bucks or so. Granted i've only used it 3 or 4 times this spring, but so far so good. This is honestly my first experience with ultralight...as weird as that is (i mean i have used them, and "inherited them," just never bought them), and I am very happy with the cabellas set up i have.

I agree with the BPS branded stuff... I got a combo from them a couple years back and it was nothin but trouble, parts giving out, prone to tangles and the rod was too stiff. But i got just a rod 2 years ago and am pleased with it. A good reel on a BPS rod is not a bad thing.
Posted By: FarmerRick Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/18/10 01:56 PM
Theo as much as is necessary for quality and it to last several seasons.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/18/10 03:16 PM
I tend to spend in the $100-$150 total for rod & reel neighborhood. If that appeals, you may find the Thread on my Condello-copy UL rig for 4 pound line interesting. I really like it.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/18/10 03:32 PM
I agree with Theo. Based upon a combination of Bruce, DIED and Theo's advice I bought the same Fish Eagle II Rod and a Shimano Spirex Rear Drag ultra light rig. I love the set up so much this rig and the fly rod are the only poles I use at our pond any more.

Gotta go, the boss is yelling at me - that's ok though, I'm gonna put his reading glasses in his coffee when he's not looking.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/18/10 06:07 PM
The plight of the self-employed ...
Posted By: FarmerRick Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/18/10 06:12 PM
Thanks guys. Cabelas Fish Eagle II Spinning Rod - '08 in the bargain cave is on sale and almost bought it.

Are the 1000 series Shimano's UL rated? I saw a Sedona SE500FD that appealed as well as the Spirex 1000. Do they make a Spirex in a 500?
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/18/10 07:07 PM
I don't think they make the Sprirex that small. I would consider the 1000 series Shimano's to be UL. It seems like Shimano has redone most of their reel line ups this year and they look really nice. May have to buy one or two to replace some of my older Shimanos.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/18/10 07:28 PM
Rick

Dont get too caught up on getting a small reel to "match" the UL rod. Larger the reel, larger the spool, easier and further casting, etc. I'm not an advocate of the palm sized tiny reels is what I'm saying. Travis is right on IMO with the Shimano 1000 or 750 is the smallest I would ever go. I own 20 shimano symetre reels from 750 on up and they have all been super. Bruce Condello swears by the Spirex because he loves the bail trigger - one handed motion is nice I have to admit. IMO don't go UL reel - stick with the 750 or 1000.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/18/10 08:29 PM
I like Spirex for their rear drags and the one hand casting. For around $60, they are a great reel. In the last few years I have really come to enjoy fishing with longer rods. Sometimes you just can't use long rods, depending on where you fish. But in places where you have room to cast them, I love them. You can cast further and fight bigger fish with ease using lighter lines. I have been using rods in the 9'-12' length. I first got into using them for hickory and American shad fishing but soon found out they are great for other species as well.

BPS Shops Models I like

B'n'M Rods from Cabela's I like

TJ, didn't you have a custom UL rod that was in the 9'+ range made for you? I think I remember you sending me the info on it...
Posted By: the stick Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/18/10 08:56 PM
T-57 is absoulutley right about small reels, they are an abomination for line twist and loops. I love the BPS Extreme, Pro Qualifier, or Signature series in the smallest size, (1000 or 10) with their larger spool, good drags, and smooth feel. You can spend as much money as you like on this line of reels depending on how many bearings you want. I have used a lot of different UL rods, Cablelas and BPS makes some real nice ones. Lately I have been using the 5.5ft BPS Extreme in the "light" action. I prefer a 5.5 rod for it's sensitive feel for casting, but use a longer rods for electric trolling and drifting to keep my line clear the of the boat.
Posted By: Bing Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/18/10 09:14 PM
Here is a link to what Shimano is currently offering in spinning reels:

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/spinning.html

Click on the Specifications tab to see the various sizes.

Bing
Posted By: FarmerRick Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/18/10 11:59 PM
Many thanks for all the info. Looks like I have some research/shopping to do. Its fun.

I think I will need to try long and short rods as it looks like that is a preference thing. It will be staying at and be used at my pond and it is open all around.

At this point I am thinking about snagging the Cabelas Fish Eagle II Rod while on sale, and since that is a 5 footer, also one of the longer BnM poles.

Leaning toward the Spirex 1000 for a reel.

I really appreciate the responses.
Posted By: Yolk Sac Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/19/10 12:11 AM
Howdy Rick-
I'm on the exact other spectrum from TJ and CJ, and use the shortest rod and smallest reel I can find for my UL outfit. For the last few years, I've used the 4.5 and 5 ft microlite rods from BPS, and a Shimano symetre 500, or sometimes one of the really small UL reels BPS sells under its own brand. I usually use 2lb test; as long as its a good brand and changed frequently, and your hooks are kept sharp, it's just the thing for 1/80-1/12 oz lures....landing a 2 pound smallie or 1 pound RES is a project!
Posted By: Omaha Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/19/10 01:09 AM
I love longer UL rods. Always assumed I needed to use a smaller reel too. Will have to try my other reels on my UL rods.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/19/10 03:49 AM
 Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
Howdy Rick-
I'm on the exact other spectrum from TJ and CJ, and use the shortest rod and smallest reel I can find for my UL outfit. For the last few years, I've used the 4.5 and 5 ft microlite rods from BPS, and a Shimano symetre 500, or sometimes one of the really small UL reels BPS sells under its own brand. I usually use 2lb test; as long as its a good brand and changed frequently, and your hooks are kept sharp, it's just the thing for 1/80-1/12 oz lures....landing a 2 pound smallie or 1 pound RES is a project!

Jeesh always gotta be the dissenting voice! ;\)

Hey, they sell those small reels for a reason - glad the combo works for you Sac. All comes down to personal preference...BPS has a good sale going right now and you can get the Extreme rods for 60 bucks.

I agree and love the ability to cast those 1/80 oz jigs for the finicky BG bite - it's crazy being able to cast a ice jig. I bought a custom made spinning rod from a rod maker featured in In Fisherman that Travis is talking about. It's a 9.5' 1 wt fly rod blank and whips tiny jigs a mile. Small rods and longer rods - all have their places.

I still like to get away with the largest reel I can without compromising the balance of the rig. Maybe you can teach me how to maximize the performance of your wee spinning reels when I come fish UL for your monster SMB, Yolkie? \:\)
Posted By: esshup Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/19/10 04:13 AM
1st rule of thumb when using those small reels - make sure they're packed with line almost to the lip. Forget about the "leave 1/8" of lip showing", and make sure that the line isn't twisted. The less line drag coming off the reel during a cast, the better. I'll pack them all the way up to the lip, then try to get out in a boat and drag 100' or so of the end of the line behind the boat without anything on it. That helps get the twists out and then when reeling it in pack it on as tight as you can. Yes, the first day you'll get some tangles. Cut it off, stick the tangle in your pocket and keep on fishing. I let the reel have the final say so on how much line it likes.
Posted By: the stick Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/19/10 08:19 AM
esshup's hint on dragging your mono out behind your boat with no terminal tackle on it, just the line only is a great tip. You can cure a lot of line twists and ills by doing that. The longer you pull it in the water the straighter it gets. I like to increase the speed of the boat when I start winding the line in because it loads the line on the spool tight. I also stop winding a few times on the way in to make sure there is no twist in the line when finished. One word of warning, if you and your fishing parteners are all clearing your lines in this way make sure you keep the boat going in a straight line. If the lines cross and get tangled it can be a real mess. We do this at the start of the day. No line twist, new knots, and you are set for some carefree casting.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/19/10 03:56 PM
I'm as you all know I'm no fishing expert and don't know whether the Spirex is considered an ultra light or not but I can tell you that if I can cast at 1/16 ounce lure a significant distance with the Fish Eagle II ultra light action pole and the Spirex 1000 reel then anyone can.

The rear drag Spirex is a joy to own. The fighting drag adjustment lever makes changing the drag during a fight a breeze, the bail trigger makes one handed casting easy - even for a goofball like me.

My wife loved my rig so much that I had to buy her one. We both really enjoy this set up.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/19/10 05:28 PM
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
The fighting drag adjustment lever makes changing the drag during a fight a breeze

Once you figure out how to use it correctly, it really is a great feature! I think I have landed many more big fish on light line because of it.
Posted By: FarmerRick Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/19/10 05:50 PM
We have a paddle boat and the pond is such that we will hve to go in circles if we do the line out to untwist it thing. That would probably add as many twists as it removes. I wonder if i could just let the line out the window of the truck whilst driving down a country road about 120mph so the end of the line at 100 yards would not be bouncing off the ground.

Thanks to all for the valuable info. I ordered a Spirex rear drag 1000 and the Cabelas Fish Eagle II Rod.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/19/10 05:53 PM
Rick

Flipping the spool over a couple times while spooling your reel helps remove line twist if Scott's option isn't viable.

You in a paddle boat going in circles is a video I'd like to see.... \:\)
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/19/10 08:04 PM
Rick, I think you will enjoy that set up. The Fish Eagle is a nice rod for the money and the Spirex is top notch.
Posted By: The Pond Frog Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/19/10 09:27 PM
My lower end rods are all fish eagle II. One piece I have 3, I had 4 but a LM<B pulled one over when I was not looking, or fishing with two poles and landing another fish. I think I have the 5'6", 6'0 and 6'6". I won't use anything two piece. I have a real nice St. Croix and a newer Kistler. I tend to use those while my kids or guests use the FEII's.

I have all of the reels. I actually like the little Shimano's Spirex and Stradic 1000.s They are good enough. But I have some nicer Quantum Energy PT, my favorite, and a bunch of Okumas. The Epixor baitfeeder is really cool with a baby bg on it. My son caught 8 LMB to 4 1/2 in a half an hour letting that puppy feed. Hey dad, time to set the hook. I use the V system also. I fish with some tourney bass guys and they really like the Okuma spinning reels for the money/value. They have a ton of bearings and zero wobble. Pretty good drags. I try to match reels, poles and lb test. And lure weight of course. But I finesse most of the time unless I am in fast current rivers. I'd go with the FEII 5 ft and a Okuma Epixor EF-20b. Thats a great reel 9 bearing for same price as rod, $60. Helluva UL combo for $120.
Posted By: esshup Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/20/10 12:44 AM
I don't think there's anything bad about any of the rods/reels that were mentioned. Like PF said, match line wt. on the reel to the rod is the best bet.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/20/10 03:20 AM
 Originally Posted By: esshup
I don't think there's anything bad about any of the rods/reels that were mentioned. Like PF said, match line wt. on the reel to the rod is the best bet.

+1
Posted By: The Pond Frog Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/20/10 03:42 AM
 Originally Posted By: FarmerRick
We have a paddle boat and the pond is such that we will hve to go in circles if we do the line out to untwist it thing. That would probably add as many twists as it removes. I wonder if i could just let the line out the window of the truck whilst driving down a country road about 120mph so the end of the line at 100 yards would not be bouncing off the ground.

Thanks to all for the valuable info. I ordered a Spirex rear drag 1000 and the Cabelas Fish Eagle II Rod.

I did not see that last line or I would not have told you about the Okuma Epixor. We have a drug store chain called Long's Drugs out here. They closed thier fishing dept and I picked that up for $20. But mine is a slightly different model, same features. Spirex 1000RE. Also snagged a Stradic 1000FH, a steal for $20. Got some casting Shimanos that are discontinued a Calyx 200, and a Corsair 401A. Still new in box both for $20 each. I also bought some Ambassadeurs, which used to be the best. I just do not use casting reels. I bought every reel they had. I think I came in to get a pack of gum or something and it was in the strip mall next to my work. I was in shock, and said how can I pass these up, I'll take them all. Anyone want to buy a Corsair 401A or Calyx 200, still in box, never spooled? I'm keeping the spinning reels.
Posted By: george1 Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/20/10 02:08 PM
I just found info that Temple Fork Outfitters has come up with a UL spin-fly combo.
TFO TFG FWSF 601-2 two piece spin-fly.
I'm trying to get some info for anyone that may be interested.

Todd Overton is a dealer for TFO so help the dealers that help PB forum folks.
Posted By: george1 Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/20/10 04:00 PM
 Originally Posted By: george1
I just found info that Temple Fork Outfitters has come up with a UL spin-fly combo.
TFO TFG FWSF 601-2 two piece spin-fly.
I'm trying to get some info for anyone that may be interested.

Todd Overton is a dealer for TFO so help the dealers that help PB forum folks.

The TFO TFG FWSF 601-2 spin-fly rod is 2 piece, 6 ft. Ultra Lt … 1/32 – 3/8 oz. spin rod and a 4wt fly rod.

The one piece I believe to be to be a 5wt fly rod but don’t know the spin rod lure wt.

I don’t know the prices as yet but will find out.
Sounds interesting.
Posted By: The Pond Frog Re: Ultra light spinnnig rig - 03/22/10 05:17 PM
Well I needed a 2nd Traxxis 55 trolling motor and since I had a $40 off coupon for the next level I ordered the same 5 ft FEII. I need to feel those 2" gsf at my new friends ponds. This might work. So I got an additional $20 off down to 39.88 before shipping. I should have 4 one piece FEII's now. The new 5', 5'8", 6' and 6'6". Actually great kid's pole, for my 4 or 8 year old also. I guess I believe in this product.

As far as the small reels. They do have some drawbacks, mainly line cap. But they can also twist up. But on this 5 ft ul, they are just the perfect match. Also I fish with a lot of kids, anywhere from 4-10. Sometimes as a guide. They are just a better fit for those smaller hands.

© Pond Boss Forum