Pond Boss
Did anyone else? Dr. Willis, Bill Cody?

Sexing Yellow Perch:

A poster posted this on the NANFA site.

Sexual dimorphism: In the male urogenital opening behind the anus; in the female, two openings, (genital and urinary) behind the anus (Moen 1959)

I've been sexing my perch in the spring by milt produced by the male by gently squeezing the fish, and if none is produced, and the perch appears plump with eggs, it's a female. I was not aware that there was a different number of openings between the sexes. I will still squeeze for milt but will be taking a closer look at the openings on these fish, and also see if they are more or less obvious at spawning time or not.

There is nothing I can add to this thread that won't get me moderated.

Therefore I shall remain silent.

Completely and utterly silent.

No sound whatsoever.

Just sitting here, fingers posed above the keyboard, thinking of all the things that I could post that would get me in major trouble.

You may have finally achieved wisdom.
Don't get your hopes up.
Have at it guys. But as a producer in which sexing them and placing each sex in the appropriate pond or cage is imperative, I'm excited I have another way to sex them in addition to what I was doing.
"Knowledge is Good"
-Emil Faber
There, JHAP. I did it. http://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/t/thebirdsandthebees.shtml
O.K. Cecil. When are we going to do some checking?

I've got an extra set of ice spikes if you need 'em.
 Originally Posted By: esshup

I want to wait until next month Scot. I have ice spikes.
Cecil, this is news to me. I think I remember some earlier NCRAC work saying they could not reliably ID them. You'll have to give it a try on some fish that you can afford to sacrifice (cut open to ID their gender)??
 Originally Posted By: Dave Willis
Cecil, this is news to me. I think I remember some earlier NCRAC work saying they could not reliably ID them. You'll have to give it a try on some fish that you can afford to sacrifice (cut open to ID their gender)??

So I'm not totally ignorant after all!

You can bet I'll be checking! I'll bring a magnifying glass and a probe too.
 Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
 Originally Posted By: esshup

I want to wait until next month Scot. I have ice spikes.

That's fine. All the snow on my pond melted and re-froze. It's now milky white. Still staying about the same thickness, 5" or so.

Come on, you guys are killing me here!!!!
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond

Come on, you guys are killing me here!!!!

Remember, the water is pretty cold up there.
© Pond Boss Forum