Pond Boss
Posted By: SShovan And one more (new guy) - 10/26/09 03:48 AM
Hello everyone,
I have been lurking for a couple of months trying to gain a little knowledge.
We just purchased a new place complete with a small (1/3 acre) pond. To my uneducated eyes, it appears to be in fair shape as far as clarity, fish health, dam, etc. Basically it just needs a little TLC. It has a homemade aerator/fountain that seems to work fine and a small dock that needs new decking. The fish seem to be well fed, but I don't think the previous owner was feeding them. There are at least 20-25 catfish in the 16-24 inch range and countless bream. I was told there were a few LM bass but haven't seen any yet. Oh, there are also a lot of small minnows or very young bream/bass.

I have already spent several hours just hanging around and observing things and I can already tell this pond is going to be my new favorite hobby.

I am sure that I will have countless questions as I learn about pond management and appreciate in advance all of your input.
Posted By: Todd3138 Re: And one more (new guy) - 10/26/09 03:54 AM
Welcome, SShovan! You've definitely found the right place to indulge in your new favorite all-consuming pasttime! You should get some pics of your pond posted. I'm in a kind of similar sitution, having just recently bought 30 acres with two ponds on it. Pretty much everything else has been put on hold while I spend time fishing, just sitting around observing, and planning on just how I'm going to make these ponds better! Again, welcome!
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: And one more (new guy) - 10/26/09 03:54 AM
Welcome to the forum... I am sure the forum will be glad to answer your questions as the come in!
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: And one more (new guy) - 10/26/09 01:16 PM
Hello SShovan and welcome to Pond Boss. I did the same thing as you did before I joined and posted my first post, I read pages and pages of threads. Owning a pond is a (mostly) fun journey. Congratulations on your new property and pond purchase. Thanks for joining in and posting, that's what this place is all about.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: And one more (new guy) - 10/26/09 07:58 PM
Some upfront advice. Many of us have learned that hiding the costs from the Wife can be a mistake. They always find out and it ain't real pleasant.
Posted By: Rainman Re: And one more (new guy) - 10/26/09 08:13 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Some upfront advice. Many of us have learned that hiding the costs from the Wife can be a mistake. They always find out and it ain't real pleasant.

OK Dave, what did you do recently??????????

Welcome to the forum SShoven! It's amazing how the water draws you in isn't it?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: And one more (new guy) - 10/26/09 09:05 PM
Rex, I haven't done anything REAL recently. I'm scared to find out where a size 5.5 shoe fits..
Posted By: Rainman Re: And one more (new guy) - 10/27/09 12:54 AM
You're a blessed man Guv. My wife's shoes are a lot bigger!
Posted By: TOM G Re: And one more (new guy) - 10/28/09 12:29 PM
 Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1

Welcome aboard SS,as you can tell already,we give advice on all manner of things here.
Personally,I dont hide it from the wife,I just do it before she knows about it.We dont have many really flat skillets at my house anymore,though.
Posted By: 2catmom Re: And one more (new guy) - 10/28/09 06:42 PM
Welcome as well SS. These guys know what they are talking about. I hope your wife loves your new pond as much as you do.
Posted By: catslayer Re: And one more (new guy) - 12/07/09 10:30 PM
dang and I was planning on getting married soon...

note to self check shoe size and avalability of frying pans... and previous conections to softball teams...lol
© Pond Boss Forum