Pond Boss
Posted By: craig111 How can i control jewel cichlid population? - 11/23/08 03:03 PM
Hey guys im having a jewel cichlid population problem. they are everywhere, outnumbering my juvie bluegill population by far and theyve started to make a dent in my gambusia population. they are mean african species and i fear they will take over my pond if nothing will eat them. I currently have about 6 black bass, 3 tilapia, and 20-30(that i added, breeding might have yielded more) adult bluegill. The jewel cichlid numbers still arent declining and its been about 3 years since ive been keeping tabs on them. What can i add to control them?

Thanks alot,
Craig
I would get some traps. Most larger outdoor stores should have them. Bait the traps with dog food or something like that and place them in a few feet of water.

He is a trap that some people use.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_30212____SearchResults
Get a truckload of ice and freeze them to death! You could also try 3-4 2 pound Largemouth.
How big are they? I would wonder about seineing them and selling them to a pet shop. You could try trapping but i would think that releasing bluegill and other would eventually teach the ciclids not to enter the trap. Possibly a cast net if the congregate for winter you could probably put a dent in them.
© Pond Boss Forum