Pond Boss
Posted By: nvcdl Weird wakes in pond - 01/07/20 11:26 PM
Have some kind of critters in my pond that creates little wakes as they zip around under the surface of the pond.

At first I thought it was the wind creating them but observed them going in different directions and changing course.

I haven't been able to net one but I'm thinking it is some kind of nymph. Any ideas of what these could be? I'm in central Virginia.
Posted By: snrub Re: Weird wakes in pond - 01/08/20 01:11 AM
My BG make lots of wakes coming towards me when I drive around the pond in the 4 wheeler. They want fed.
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Weird wakes in pond - 01/08/20 01:14 AM
(I thought this was gonna be about Viking Funerals.)

I think the wind can do a lot more than just straight line motion. Look at how the mist demons move when a light fog is rising off the surface and the wind is slow enough to form and move shapes.
Posted By: john kelsey Re: Weird wakes in pond - 01/08/20 11:48 AM
Might be marsh rats.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Weird wakes in pond - 01/08/20 07:44 PM
Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
(I thought this was gonna be about Viking Funerals.)

I think the wind can do a lot more than just straight line motion. Look at how the mist demons move when a light fog is rising off the surface and the wind is slow enough to form and move shapes.

Viking Funerals...lol

I agree with respect to the wind action causing some very eradic/swirling small waves. I thought I had odd critters doing some amazing wakes, but convinced myself that it was just the wind/breeze currents...I had not stocked any fish at the time which supported my conclusions.

You may find yourself trying to trap a Loch Ness monster.
Posted By: JKS3613 Re: Weird wakes in pond - 01/08/20 08:44 PM
Originally Posted By: snrub
My BG make lots of wakes coming towards me when I drive around the pond in the 4 wheeler. They want fed.

Same here!
Posted By: wbuffetjr Re: Weird wakes in pond - 01/08/20 09:01 PM
I went back and forth on this for years! I eventually settled on the wind.
Posted By: Augie Re: Weird wakes in pond - 01/09/20 03:15 PM
Loch Ness monster.

My pond has one too.
© Pond Boss Forum