Pond Boss
Posted By: matija Can this food chain work in 40 meters square - 06/09/18 11:20 AM
Adult red fin perch
Prussian carp,chub,red fin perch fry.
Insects,crayfish,worms,plants,bread,corn.
If 5 meters by 8 meters by 1,5 meters pond isn't enough.how big then it should be.
Seriosly none
Posted By: RAH Re: Can this food chain work in 40 meters square - 06/10/18 10:58 AM
I think folks are uncertain of what you have planned or have enough details on your pond.
Pond is 8 meter by 5 meter and 1,5 meter deep heavy planted and stocked with prussian carp(carassius gibelo),red fin perch(perca fluviatilis),european chub,crayfish(astacus astacus).pond is near river so i meant leading part of river in pond and out of pond(i will put filter in intake and out take).my idea is to have something like garden pond in which i can fish and sometimes eat fish and crayfish
Posted By: RAH Re: Can this food chain work in 40 meters square - 06/10/18 11:19 PM
It may be that you will need to wait for someone from nearby to answer your question since these species may be specific to your area.
What will be the predators for the carp and prolific perch? Carp stir and mix the sediments searching for food items, this creates turbid water, turbid water suppresses sunlight penetration and retards growth of plant and animal plankton as bases of the food chain.
Red fin perch are cannibals and eat prussian carp fry.i had idea that only biggest and strongest fish can survive there and when there is too much fish then it is time for grill,market etc
And bottom of pond will be covered with gravel
© Pond Boss Forum