Pond Boss
Posted By: Acuna I *think" I have a blank slate.... - 10/24/16 03:27 PM
To make a long story somewhat shorter, I have access to an abandoned golf course irrigation pond. I went there to check it out and saw zero signs of life other than a couple of turtles. No fish in the shade, minnows along the shore, etc. No vegetation but a good green color. This pond is at least 20 years old and I am certain it has never been stocked. Based on Google Earth it also has never gone dry as far back as I can tell so it is deep enough to survive the last drought we had here in Texas. I had a rod with a worm on it and made some casts and didn't get a single nibble or anything. There has been zero fishing pressure on this place and no signs of people fishing it (which would indicate the possible presence of fish if people were using it regularly).

Do you think it is possible that there are still no fish in it? I plan on throwing some fathead minnows and BG in it early next spring to kick things off and then follow it up with LMB later on once the forage base has a chance to get started.
Posted By: BrianL Re: I *think" I have a blank slate.... - 10/24/16 03:35 PM
I think it would be nearly impossible for it not to already have some fish.
Posted By: canyoncreek Re: I *think" I have a blank slate.... - 10/24/16 05:16 PM
Please no! If you truly have a blank slate, plan the forage and the predator ratios, then plan what species, and ask on this forum for timing of both stockers. You only get once chance to get it right smile

Also I would think a bit about funding the stocking of a pond that is not yours and is not on your property. It might be tough to prevent others from bucket stocking, fishing, or changing your best laid plans.
Posted By: poppy65 Re: I *think" I have a blank slate.... - 10/24/16 05:38 PM
Originally Posted By: BrianL
I think it would be nearly impossible for it not to already have some fish.

I agree. Fish tend to get in any BOW around here in some way.
Posted By: snrub Re: I *think" I have a blank slate.... - 10/24/16 07:04 PM
I would bet a dollar there are at least a pair of GSF in there. They probably saw you coming and did not bite brecause they were busy conspiring on how to divide up the minnows they heard you were going to stock. grin
Posted By: stickem' Re: I *think" I have a blank slate.... - 10/24/16 10:32 PM
Acuna,
As mentioned, I think it is highly unlikely that the pond is fish-free...
Posted By: esshup Re: I *think" I have a blank slate.... - 10/25/16 12:36 AM
There's fish in there. If there isn't, then something is wrong and you have to find out what that is before throwing any $$ at it.
What size is it?
© Pond Boss Forum