Pond Boss
Posted By: RAH fish ID - 06/04/16 03:59 PM
Is this a golden shiner?

Posted By: esshup Re: fish ID - 06/04/16 04:41 PM
See the lateral line? See how it takes a severe dip towards the bottom of the fish behind the pectoral fins? That is indicative of a Golden Shiner.
Posted By: RAH Re: fish ID - 06/04/16 04:52 PM
This is good to know. I bought the stockers from a bait shop a couple years ago and it looks like they were GSH and that they have multiplied well. Hopefully they will be forage for both the YP and the SMB. I only added 10 SMB last year, so they should be well fed. I just hope that some SMB will survive the YP and GSH. I have yet to see baby YP although I saw egg ribbons both last year and this spring.
Posted By: snrub Re: fish ID - 06/04/16 07:41 PM
I have caught a few of my adult GSH this year both in traps and on a small hook. They are not so much golden when they are smaller, but one of my large ones was a very bright gold color. The others also had a lesser golden cast to them.
Posted By: RAH Re: fish ID - 06/25/16 04:11 PM
Is this a golden shiner too? It looks a bit different in shape.

And the pond where it was trapped.

Posted By: canyoncreek Re: fish ID - 06/26/16 01:15 AM
My vote would be yes. Note the triangular 'sail shaped' fin on the top and the slight dip in the lateral line, although I agree, the color is more 'washed out' and less golden.
Posted By: RAH Re: fish ID - 06/26/16 11:09 AM
Thanks. Well it looks like the 10 SMB I added last year should have no trouble finding food. Hopefully they will grow to trophy size over the next 5 years (and spawn).
© Pond Boss Forum