Pond Boss
Posted By: fish n chips I can only imagine it's bass - 05/25/15 03:04 PM
Saw this and thought I'd share. Never noticed it before in my pond. Have seen bass making beds in years past, but never a school afterwards. Guess I'll have bass now? Wonder how many will make it... hopefully only a fraction.

...and no. I didn't dye the water. Have never noticed it that color until now with the photo.
Posted By: esshup Re: I can only imagine it's bass - 05/26/15 04:54 PM
That fish in the 2nd picture is a small LMB.
Posted By: fish n chips Re: I can only imagine it's bass - 05/26/15 09:46 PM
Yes, but that cloud that contains the area between the bass and the left and right spatterdock below the bass is what is in question. With binoculars I could see that is was a small fish of some sort, probably a few thousand of them. The bass would go up to them once in a while, but didn't seem aggressive like it was eating. And it would seem that other bass would be in on the action if that was the case. Almost like the bass was standing on guard scaring off any intruders. However, I thought it odd they were out in the deeper water.
Posted By: esshup Re: I can only imagine it's bass - 05/27/15 01:54 AM
Male LMB will guard the small, newly hatched LMB for a while.....
Posted By: kenc Re: I can only imagine it's bass - 05/27/15 07:57 PM
You have some pretty water there, Jim.
Posted By: RC51 Re: I can only imagine it's bass - 05/27/15 08:52 PM
Actually they will move to deeper water in large schools! For some reason they believe there safer out there? Mine do the same thing! Safety in numbers man until your number is up!! smile There sitting ducks!

RC
Posted By: fish n chips Re: I can only imagine it's bass - 05/28/15 11:34 AM
Hey Ken, good to hear from you. How's your pond life doing? Can't take any credit on the water.... it's provided by nature as is. Funny how the photo makes me see it in a new way.
Posted By: kenc Re: I can only imagine it's bass - 05/29/15 01:38 AM
Jim, my ponds have not been getting any attention from me as I had surgery last year and it has kept me close to the couch. Travis is hatching some male RE and female BG in the forage pond. I got the idea from Theo. Hopefully, they will grow as fast as his and will have his keen wit. Take care, my friend.
Posted By: taylor5877 Re: I can only imagine it's bass - 06/10/15 10:51 PM
Originally Posted By: RC51
Actually they will move to deeper water in large schools! For some reason they believe there safer out there? Mine do the same thing! Safety in numbers man until your number is up!! smile There sitting ducks!

RC

My small bass swim the middle of my pond and make a wake...bad idea as the HSB in my pond are lighting them up as well as the baby bluegill that like to eat the scraps from the feeder. It's fun to watch though.
© Pond Boss Forum