Pond Boss
Since we haven't moved dirt for a month, and still won't for another couple weeks if the weather guy is right -- rain, rain, and more rain! -- I had an idea.

Now with me, ideas are dangerous, risky, and usually dumb. But since I'm not gonna be able to stock when I want to, and it will be warmer than I anticipated when I do, how does this sound?

Stock prawns first -- they need warmth and will get it. Stock tilapia too, they grow well together with prawns. Feed as necessary.

When prawns get large enough not be eaten by FHM, stock them.

When prawns get large enough not to be eaten by small to mid size CNBG and RES, stock them. Continue feeding.

In fall, after multiple CNBG, FHM and tilapia spawns, introduce a limited number of larger (2-4 lb) bass. Preferably Florida females.

They will chow down on FHM, prawns, then CNBG, then sluggish tilapia as waters cool. If mixed gender, then will spawn next spring. If not, bring in bass fingerlings.

What say you, pond bosses? Totally dumb, or only partially so? blush
Food is food...seems good if water temps don't drop low enough to kill prawns or tilapia...should be some fat bass!
Originally Posted By: vosler
Food is food...seems good if water temps don't drop low enough to kill prawns or tilapia...should be some fat bass!

Yeah, you're right, this is a pretty risky strategy. If no severe cold snaps, could pay off big. But I've experienced an April blizzard in Texas considerably south of my pond to be. shocked

Probably not worth the risk the first year. Maybe next year I can try a growout pond with prawns/tilapia. Anyway, Bob Lusk is making sure we'll have lots of good spawning beds for the RES and CNBG, so that's likely the best overall strategy. Plus lots of feeding!
© Pond Boss Forum