Pond Boss
Posted By: mwcoleburn Forage Fish for Washington State - 05/14/12 07:31 AM
A buddy just enlisted me to help him whip his pond into shape on the property they are purchasing. It's a nice chance for me to get to work on it while my pond construction plans are on hold (I started a new business).

The pond is on whidbey island in NW Washington,
Pond in question
Now once he get the keys I'll be out there skimming off the duckweed, determining the water quality, mapping out the bottom, and doing a fish survey.

The biggest problem we have up here is that there really are no true native forage fish for ponds, and as such no hatcheries I have found that carry them. That said I figure we would try to get whatever is the best fit and stock them over the next couple years before we start adding the target species (YP and CC with some trout if the water level is deep enough to support over summer)

So what would you gents add for a forage species *FHMs are considered an invasive species up here. So other than those give me some Ideas.

I should add that the pond is roughly 150' x 40' with depth yet to be determined. Weather is generally mild with winter not colder than 20 or so (and even then for less than a week at a time) and summer that average in the mid 70's
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Forage Fish for Washington State - 05/14/12 11:05 AM
Neat looking place. Do the golf courses there stock anything in the water hazards? If it were me, I would not ask questions of any governmental agency like the NRCS. That's the most environmentally regulated place I've ever seen.

I'll be visiting Grandkids in Bremerton for a couple of weeks during August. Sure hope the weather is mild. With no AC, the rare hot days can be murder.
Posted By: mwcoleburn Re: Forage Fish for Washington State - 05/14/12 02:26 PM
I havent seen anything other than a few YP and some stunted LMB in the golf ponds. The one grounds keeper I know said he didnt stock a thing, he said the fish just always show up a couple years after the ponds are completed. In several of the ponds I have been too the only fish I've ever seen is YP and those are inevitably runty.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Forage Fish for Washington State - 05/14/12 08:06 PM
I'd check with Washington State and see what species actually are legal... You are right though, there aren't many native forage species to choose from there.
Posted By: mwcoleburn Re: Forage Fish for Washington State - 05/15/12 04:08 AM
The only fish listed as specifically banned is the fat head minnow, other minnow and shiner varieties are not listed at all. I'm wondering if it would be possible to have fry shipped out and then grow them in doors untill they are releasable size.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Forage Fish for Washington State - 05/15/12 09:37 PM
Sure you can. But in your neck of the woods you might face some real problems if you got caught.

Check for other ponds and see if you can get some guidance on how to get what you think you want. If you can get some fry or even starters you can stock them and then let them grow out and spawn. Add predators later.
Posted By: mwcoleburn Re: Forage Fish for Washington State - 05/16/12 05:35 AM
I guess it's time to put that winning smile on and go knock on some doors. To be honest not many of the ponds in the area are maintained at all. And the ones that I have fished are full of nothing but stunted LMB and YPs
Posted By: RER Re: Forage Fish for Washington State - 05/16/12 01:14 PM
this is a list of washington fish , I see a few minnows and suckers that look like good meals for bass. Sourcing could be an issue. You might have to go on some collection trips........

http://www.gotmyfishon.com/washington-lakes/washington-fish-species-identification
Posted By: Gambusia Re: Forage Fish for Washington State - 05/16/12 11:33 PM
Peamouth minnows are native to Washington and like lakes

Quote:
It prefers lakes and slow-moving portions of streams, and small and medium rivers. Peamouth will school where aquatic vegetation is abundant.

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Forage Fish for Washington State - 05/17/12 10:00 AM
Not real sure about that site. It states that Bluegills don't reach sexual maturity until their 3rd or 4th year. The minnows are about the same. Maybe that's the way it is in Washington State but I doubt it.
Posted By: fishm_n Re: Forage Fish for Washington State - 06/29/12 07:21 AM
If you coud find them cheap enough, you could buy very young trout as forage, and the ones that make it will add to your fun.

do you guys have fresh water shrimp, or craw fish??

Is feeding out of the question, both CC and YP are popular for that.
© Pond Boss Forum