Pond Boss
Posted By: RER Florida CrayFish - 04/30/12 02:08 PM
Procambarus allenii

This is a local and native crayfish in many ditches and ponds in my area. Any thoughts on them as a pond crayfish.

I know that Procambarus Clarkii are not rcomended as they are bad burrowers.....

How about the Florida crayfish, any one have suggestions...

I am really wanting to get crayfish established on my pond

Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Florida CrayFish - 05/01/12 12:30 AM
I'd be surprised if crayfish haven't found your pond on their own... Have you walked the edge at night and shined a light into the shallows to look for them? Their eyes glow quite brightly and they stick out.
Posted By: RER Re: Florida CrayFish - 05/01/12 01:39 AM
I have no crayfish, I am positive, I have stocked some other crayfish too...It was before I added a bit of structure. I am thinking until I get some vegetation the koi will munch on them....as long as they do not burrow I will add as many as I can get. I have added the Asian clams from the same pond I got the tilapia from, a bucket full of them....They failed...Cant find a single one...I think the koi are eating them too...
Them or the sheepshead...they eat barnacles...was hoping to at least have some on going...
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Florida CrayFish - 05/01/12 01:55 PM
The clams can really disappear but be there. Sometimes it takes a year or two for the clams to take off. If the crayfish is native and isn't a burrower, I see no reason to not try them.
Posted By: RER Re: Florida CrayFish - 05/01/12 02:08 PM
OK, thanks, I was concerned the Florida Crayfish "Procambarus allenii" would burrow like its cusin the red Swamp Crayfish "Procambarus Clarkii"

I think the pond gets to hot for the northern crayfish I tried to stock also.
Posted By: Frozengator Re: Florida CrayFish - 05/02/12 04:33 AM
I know when I lived in Jupiter we had a pond that had fresh water shrimp in it. I would like to know if they could make it here in Indiana???
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Florida CrayFish - 05/03/12 07:28 AM
See: http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=215709#Post215709 and http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=144813#Post144813
Posted By: RER Re: Florida CrayFish - 05/03/12 01:29 PM
Yep local park has loads of grass shrimp...

I am planning to get some once the eels grass I planted takes off..

I was just concerned about the crayfish burrowing...Looks like they are not bad at it like the red swamp crays....Even though they are close relative...

I just need to source some....

I did catch a 4 inch Mangrove (Grey) snapper and a 10 in tarpon last night...
Those are going into the pond ...lots of minnows they can work on ....
© Pond Boss Forum