Pond Boss
Posted By: SK63 Gizzard Shad are spawning - 03/31/11 03:17 PM
Have seen several large school of Gizzards spawning, this is the size, hopefully my Bass are keeping them in check, if this is last years spawn, I'm probably in good shape, assuming they get wiped out this year.

[url=

[url=][/url]

Attached picture DSC01357.JPG
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Gizzard Shad are spawning - 03/31/11 10:33 PM
Very cool! Where in the Midwest are you?
Posted By: SK63 Re: Gizzard Shad are spawning - 04/01/11 12:55 AM
Here in the KC area. It's a 1 acre pond, I must admit I went in to a bit of a panic when I saw that many (Shawn Banks will attest) but I knew I was playing with fire when I put them in. Several years ago, I stocked 20 Gizzard Shad 10"-12", but I've got a lot of big Bass. Originally stocked 50 12" LMB 3 years ago so they can easily handle this size of fish and then some. Neighbors have also transplant stocked at least 5 LMB in the 5-8 lb range and that's been several years ago, (told them to knock it off). My Channel Cats are in the 5-8 Lb. range.
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Gizzard Shad are spawning - 04/01/11 01:22 AM
Didn't think the water temps would be in their spawning range yet with all this crazy cold weather we've had. I guess it's been milder in the KC area.
Posted By: SK63 Re: Gizzard Shad are spawning - 04/01/11 01:29 AM
Shocked me too, I'm only around 50 degrees, probably a little less now with this week of weather, unless they're doing something other than spawning but it appears to me that's what's going on
Posted By: CJBS2003 Re: Gizzard Shad are spawning - 04/01/11 01:44 AM
Makes me wonder if that is what they are doing? Gizzard shad peak spawn in the mid 60's, about 64 degrees and generally when water temps are trending up, not down... Water temps were in the mid 60's in a couple of the smaller ponds and about 60 in most of the others early last week here in VA. Now most are in the mid 40's. This early Spring weather is screwing everything up!
Posted By: SK63 Re: Gizzard Shad are spawning - 04/01/11 03:27 AM
Yes, I don't know, I'm definitely not a GS expert but they are doing a lot of "rolling" on sides near surface. They will spook off real quick so they aren't sick, maybe just feeding? The Heron is quite happy with them being so shallow.
© Pond Boss Forum