Pond Boss
Posted By: BigBlueSwami Flat head Minnow question - 05/29/10 02:17 PM
I have a .80 acre new pond. I started my stocking with 4 lbs of flathead minnows in March. The only minnows I've observed have been strays doing the "death dance" as I call it on the top around the edge. Should I have seen schools of fry or anything at this point? And do they get drawn to a light at night? Just curious if I could try that and see if they're there I'm just not seeing them. I don't have anything else in the pond except frogs and crayfish and its a new construction so I don't believe I have any predation going. My color is good. I've got several pallets and a layered 4x4 structure for them to spawn on. I'm new to the pond boss game. Just thought I'd see if anybody had any thoughts or ideas. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: jeffhasapond Re: Flat head Minnow question - 05/29/10 02:33 PM
Hello BigBlueSwami and welcome to Pond Boss. Thanks for joining in and posting - participation is what makes this forum work. I'm assuming that you mean fathead minnows. Sounds like you know about the spawning habits of FHM since you've put pallets in your pond. I'm certainly no minnow expert (or expert of any kind when it comes to ponds, well unless you consider pond mismanagement something that someone could be an expert in) so hang on for some feedback.
Posted By: Cecil Baird1 Re: Flat head Minnow question - 05/29/10 07:52 PM
BBS,

I'm sure they're there and multiplying like crazy with no predator fish. There is a high mortality of fatheads after spawning and they have fairly short lifespans.
Posted By: hang_loose Re: Flat head Minnow question - 05/30/10 05:45 AM
Try throwing a little Aquamax fish in food and see what happens.
Posted By: RC51 Re: Flat head Minnow question - 06/01/10 08:22 PM
Hey BigBlue,

My pond is close to the size of yours I have a 1 acre pond and when you think about it 4 lbs of FHM's isn't so much that most of them could be hiding out in a pond your size. Have you had your water tested to make sure everything is good there? I put 10 lbs of FHM's in my pond and they are everywhere now, but I have not seen any baby's but one time and I almost missed them. They were in a school about 2 feet round. Maybe you just have to good of habitat for them to hang out in and they don't want to come out and play! smile
Posted By: Cisco Re: Flat head Minnow question - 06/01/10 10:23 PM
I have a 1 1/2 acre pond that I stocked 10# of FHM in December of last year. I'm just now seeing the fry and I'm seeing truckloads. I didn't see any at all until about 3 weeks ago. Without any predators, I would bet they are there. Oh yea, welcome to the show! If you're anything like me, get ready to be floored by the amount of info here.
Posted By: BigBlueSwami Re: Flat head Minnow question - 06/03/10 04:33 PM
Originally Posted By: RC51
Hey BigBlue,

My pond is close to the size of yours I have a 1 acre pond and when you think about it 4 lbs of FHM's isn't so much that most of them could be hiding out in a pond your size. Have you had your water tested to make sure everything is good there? I put 10 lbs of FHM's in my pond and they are everywhere now, but I have not seen any baby's but one time and I almost missed them. They were in a school about 2 feet round. Maybe you just have to good of habitat for them to hang out in and they don't want to come out and play! smile

I haven't done that but I will.. what PH should throw up an alarm?
© Pond Boss Forum