Pond Boss
Posted By: czimmerm Minnesota hatcheries? - 05/18/10 07:04 AM

Help from the Northlanders please!
I'm hoping to start the journey home today and one of the first things on my to-do list is stocking GSH and FHM in my new pond. I tentatively plan on following it up by stocking LMB and BG next year.
Does anybody have recommendations for hatcheries west of the cities?
How many feeders do you recommend I stock in my 1.3 acre pond when I get the permit back next month?

Thanks!
Posted By: Lenman Re: Minnesota hatcheries? - 05/18/10 11:32 AM
You might call Oswald Fisheries @ 507-684-3808 or check their website. They're near Geneva south of Owatonna....not exactly "west of the cities", but they're a pretty big outfit. I got fhm and we from them this spring. Also a smaller player Greg Daniels Aquaculture is east of Hayfield. Very nice guy though.
Posted By: czimmerm Re: Minnesota hatcheries? - 05/21/10 08:34 AM
Thanks, Lenman.
I just made it home yesterday, so I'll start calling folks today. I still haven't seen a full version of "Lake Tenacity" with no ice on it. Today will be a happy day!
Posted By: esshup Re: Minnesota hatcheries? - 05/21/10 12:32 PM
Welcome home!!
Posted By: ovation2004 Re: Minnesota hatcheries? - 05/21/10 04:40 PM
leman i just got off the phone with oswald fisheries sounds like a evey knowlegable outfit i will be doing some business with him shortly. glad i have found this site with so many great people and info thanks
Posted By: czimmerm Re: Minnesota hatcheries? - 05/22/10 07:24 PM
Thanks, esshup. It's absolutely wonderful to be here.

I putzed around the property for so long that I only got ahold of one outfit. Trophy Game Fish told me to just get some FHM and GSH from a bait shop, and come talk to him about the predators next year. He seemed pretty knowledgeable. However, I don't remember reading that any of you experts had done that, so I'm a little hesitant. I think I'll give Oswald a call on Monday just to make sure everybody's in agreement.
Posted By: esshup Re: Minnesota hatcheries? - 05/23/10 01:25 AM
I'd see if you can get them from a fish supplier or hatchery. The bait shop might not take the best care of them, because they're, well, bait and not expected to live for long. They'll probably be less expensive from the hatchery or fish supplier as well, you're cutting out one of the middle men.
Posted By: czimmerm Re: Minnesota hatcheries? - 05/23/10 03:30 PM
Good point, esshup. I suppose there's also a better chance of a rough fish sneaking in to the bunch too...
Posted By: esshup Re: Minnesota hatcheries? - 05/23/10 04:29 PM
That's right. I'm amazed at how many sticklebacks, etc. I find in bait shop minnows, but not in the minnows from the fish suppliers.
Posted By: ovation2004 Re: Minnesota hatcheries? - 05/23/10 05:01 PM
They seem to be very reasonably priced wise also
Posted By: Lenman Re: Minnesota hatcheries? - 05/24/10 02:50 AM
If you can get a lot of minnows direct from a hatchery instead of through a bait shop, you'll save quite a bit of dough. Especially when you're looking for enough baitfish to feed a pond and potentially start a breeding population. (Offset, of course, by travel costs depending on distance). Maybe ask your local baitshops if they have a dealer or if they seine/trap their own?
© Pond Boss Forum