Pond Boss
Posted By: TyW33 Rusty Crawfish - 02/13/04 02:47 AM
So as not to Hi-jack the other thread...
Here is the most comprhensive info on Rusty crawfish. They are native to at least part of Illinios, so it may be legal to have them. Not that you would want them.
This site has great info on life history, ecological effects, behavior,and identification.

http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/exotics/rusty.html
Posted By: Russ Re: Rusty Crawfish - 02/13/04 11:40 PM
TyW33,

Good article, thanks for the link.

Russ
Posted By: Bob Shelton Re: Rusty Crawfish - 02/22/04 11:34 PM
This is my first post. Been reading other posts for info on stocking new pond with forage. From the picture the " Rusty Crawfish" looked just like the crawfish that I buy by the 40lb. sack to cook and eat. Being from Southern Louisian heritage this is a delicacy. I had planned to put some of these in my pond , not necessarily to harvest for food, but for future forage for future bass. This new pond is only about 3/4 acre total water. I thought that redear brim also liked young crawfish as a food source. ?? Are we talking about the same crawfish that no one seems to want up North , based on the link about them????
Posted By: TyW33 Re: Rusty Crawfish - 02/24/04 02:14 AM
There are around 400 species of crayfish in north america. Rusty's are probably the most popular for food and biological supply company's. Having said that crayfish are very difficult to identify. I want crayfish in my pond but not these crayfish. I would check into what they actualy are, and then make an eduacted guess about what they will do to your pond.
© Pond Boss Forum