Pond Boss
Ok Guys;

I have gotten a paper from a hatchery I am planning on buying my fish from. In there pampflet it states that over the long haul its much better to stock all fingerlings at the recomended rate and to avoid adding larger fish from other ponds. At this point my pond is nearly 1/2 full and looking good. Its about 7 feet deep in the deepest area and the wide area that will average 5 feet is just starting to fill. the entire area is 1.4 acre.

I have yet to add a single fish. I am planning to add GS and FH as soon as today. Is it too early to put in some BG?

Here is my problem with stocking all fingerlings. My father will be turning 83 in a few days and my father in law turned 71 today. I would love to see them cast a line here with the possability of catching a fish or 2. If I stock all fingerlings it will be 2 years or so till catching size fish will be present. I am also a cancer survivor and well you never know when the other shoe will drop.

So am I being stupid in wanting to go get a bunch of fish that are catchable and also adding a ton of BG fry and minnows for them to munch on? I would also feed them bass chow.

So if I do this am I throwing the balance off so far as for future of the pond for the long haul when my grandkids are fishing without me. Or do I put em in and use this time to teach the little kids to snell knots and cast a line now.

Thanks for any advice. This form has been very helpful and I apperciate it very much.
Well I may get yelled out for this, and it sort of defies conventional wisdom, but given your situation Sd, if it were me I would stock fish large enough to catch.
Other ponds have stocked the entire food chain at once and done just fine. There are advantages to stocking forage base first and then fingerlings but given what your goal is, to ensure some fishing time with Dad, I say go for it. I just lost my Dad and I can tell you spend as much time as you can with him, you and him will both be better for it.

But that's just one pond monkey's opinion.

Oh and a belated welcome to Pond Boss, we're glad you found us.
Given situation not a problem that you can not fix later. Norm where you at? Don't just stock larger predator fish (i.e. bass)but larger bluegill as well. Get fathead minnows in right away so they have more of a chance of establishment.

Greg Grimes (borrowed computer)
 Originally Posted By: sdstohler
Here is my problem with stocking all fingerlings. My father will be turning 83 in a few days and my father in law turned 71 today. I would love to see them cast a line here with the possability of catching a fish or 2. If I stock all fingerlings it will be 2 years or so till catching size fish will be present. I am also a cancer survivor and well you never know when the other shoe will drop.
sdstohler, understanding your personal goals, I would determine desired predator and forage disires and go the adult stocker route.
Consider aereation and feeding options when determining your predator/forage needs.

Good luck - been there, done that... \:\)
Thanks so much. Thats what I was thinking.
Its about the goals. You can create an entire pond population at one time if you can find the fish.

See exactly what is available from the hatchery including types , numbers and sizes and cost. You may have to try several hatcheries to get you there. It can be done with some effort. If you can get 2 sizes of BG and advanced size LMB or other predator fish plus the GShiners and FH it will work. You could then get some adult BG from another source (ponds etc)and add them. If you can get 3 sizes of BG (2in , 4-5in and adults 7+ in) then you can add some adult predator fish.

For your pond now .7 acres going to 1.4 acres assuming it will fill in due course by winter here are some numbers.

30 lbs of FH
25 lbs GShiners
400 2 in BG
200 4-5 in BG
50+ adult BG
40 4 in LMB
20 10-12 in (adult) LMB

Plus pellets to feed and a feeder (assuming you are not hand feedeing).

Anyone else have a guess.
After adding FHM & GSH he could go the HSB-only pond route. With lots of pellet feeding any size HSB he puts in could be maintained. Great fishing from the get go.

The HSB won't last forever (without restocking), and later virtually any type of reproducing stocking scheme could be implemented.
well i did some searching and found this.
Schult's Fish Hatchery Address 1756 Hamlin Hwy Lake Ariel PA
Number (570)-226-7494
email. schultzfish@yahoo.com

Type count cost per total cost

fathead 50lb $7.50 $375

Bluegill 3-4" 400 $.90 $360

5-6" 200 $1.40 $280

LMB 6-8" 40 $3.50 $140

8-10" 20 $4.50 $90

total $1245

AquaProŽ Low-Profile Automatic Fish Feeders ADF75 $399.99

Feed $10-40 a bag x2 60

Grand Total $1704.99

RESULTS PRICELESS

if you really wanted some golden shiners
Sounds like a real bargain to me.
 Originally Posted By: LOVELACE LAKE
...AquaProŽ Low-Profile Automatic Fish Feeders ADF75 $399.99...

I wouldn't pull the trigger on that one just yet.
Good one Bruce. Yep three more calls this week on broken down adf75D, will it never end?
Which brings up the question, what is the best automatic feeder for the money?? Maybe I should start another post for that one and get opinions. I would hope it doesn't end like a Ford vs. Chevy thing, we all know how those end.....
JoeG we just had a good thread on the feeder subject I posted some prices and opinions, ewest can you find it for him, should come up in search.
Here it is.

http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=127298&fpart=1
Ten-Four good buddies, thanks for the link.
SD did you stock your pond yet?? Just curious what you had gone with for numbers/species etc. and where you got your fish from. Hope you had good luck.
© Pond Boss Forum