Pond Boss
Posted By: Robinwood New pond leaking - 03/12/20 06:01 PM
Hi all! My name is Rick and I am a new member to the forum. I'm glad to find such a great place to gather information from other pond owners. I currently own a 150 acre farm in Indiana on which I recently constructed a 1 acre pond. I was hoping to stock it for fishing and build a dock for swimming. That plan would have worked out great if the water level wouldn't go down 2 inches every week! The dam was cored properly but there seems to be some marshy ground developing behind it. No running water, just seeping. I've got about three feet to go to get it to the overflow and just can't seem to get it there. It;s maddening! Any ideas other than draining and starting over would be great. If I have to drain it I think I'll put it back in corn eek
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: New pond leaking - 03/12/20 11:15 PM
No way to know without draining but: I would watch it for awhile. New water holes do a lot of wicking In all directions.
Posted By: Bobbss Re: New pond leaking - 03/13/20 01:03 AM
Welcome to the forum. While you're amount of water loss isn't ideal, I've heard of people with similar situations and they are still happy they have their pond. I wish mine did that good,but that's another story. Lol! Do you have a measuring stick in it so you can tell if it's getting better or worse or staying the same? Any chance that wet area behind the dam is just run off? Do a search for Soilfloc, it could help you Also do a search for TJ, he is a member here and a great guy. He can help you with it. Also how old is your pond and how deep is it? Good luck!
Posted By: Pat Williamson Re: New pond leaking - 03/13/20 02:35 AM
Dave you are so right about them wicking out to the sides for a while, so maybe he will get lucky and it will eventually even out
Posted By: Snipe Re: New pond leaking - 03/13/20 03:37 AM
I just talked to TJ and he's on the road. He's aware of this thread and said if you would send him an email at tj@hudlandmgmt.com
he'd get ya fixed up Robinwood.
Posted By: Snipe Re: New pond leaking - 03/13/20 03:45 AM
About the pond... What is the soil type?? Clay, sandy loam etc...
© Pond Boss Forum