Pond Boss
Posted By: Roy B Found my pond - 01/09/20 12:49 AM
Hello everyone, new pond owner, well, it’s been there all along. My wife and I bought this place in the Ozarks 2 years ago and I have spent most of the time building chicken coops and goat barns. I have walked this property (19 acres) about 5 times and had located the pond early on, but it was small and overgrown. Wow, was I mistaken, this is a gem in the rough. I thought it was about a 40 ft x 40 ft pond, since clearing all the brush, I now have a dam 80 ft, with shoreline going up a canyon for around 150 feet, with about 40 ft at that end. This is fed by a fresh water spring upstream about 2000 feet. Also, several wet weather creeks running. I’m planning on raising the dam a few feet and lowering the basin as far as I can to get rid of all the sediment and slag that has run down over the years. I’m thinking stocking fish in said pond. One side of the dam has been blown out due to a tree growing there and I guess it just finally seeped enough, it gave way with heavy rain years ago. Sorry for the long post. My wife thinks I’m crazy but I’m pretty excited to find what I found, I spend all my time there.

Roy Barnes
Doubleagle Homestead
Ava, Mo.
Posted By: Bobbss Re: Found my pond - 01/09/20 04:24 AM
Welcome to the forum Roy B. Does it hold any water now? Good luck with you're project.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Found my pond - 01/09/20 11:28 AM
I would also be excited. When you repair the dam be sure that you “knit” the new soils to the existing ones. In other words, the seam will leak.
Posted By: Roy B Re: Found my pond - 01/09/20 12:14 PM
We haven’t had any rain in a couple of weeks now, still wet with about 2 inches of water. The water source goes under the pond and then reappears about 30 feet down the dam. That’s what it looks like to me. The water is always running, I plan on skimming the top foot or so for the soil to go in my garden, looks like black gold.

Roy Barnes
Doubleagle Homestead
Ava, Mo
Posted By: Roy B Re: Found my pond - 01/09/20 12:17 PM
I will be sure to do that, good info there, thanks Dave!

Roy Barnes
Doubleagle Homestead
Ava, Mo
Posted By: Augie Re: Found my pond - 01/09/20 02:54 PM
Welcome to PB.

I had a great aunt and uncle that owned a farm a few miles east of Ava on Hwy 14.

It's beautiful country.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Found my pond - 01/09/20 04:38 PM
Welcome to pond boss!

Try to find a local pond builder to come take a look. Local conditions vary so much and you want to make sure you can hold water before you start on renovations.
© Pond Boss Forum