Pond Boss
Posted By: Velvetmaggot Hi from Illinois/St. Louis region - 07/07/19 03:26 PM
Unfortunately I find myself joining after a fish rapture event occurring in a long established existing natural pond. I've been a long time fish enthusiast and successfully keep indoor freshwater aquariums. Our pond is just shy of a million gallons and has been doing it's thing for 37 years. This week we were admiring how healthy everything was, and only two days later we are scooping out dead fish.

Moving forward, I am looking to install an undergravel pvc grid filter kind of thing. There is no electric for this pond and I have no desire to add any. My idea is to add solar powered pumps and incorporate them into the system with some water features. I also have a runoff path that feeds the pond which I may landscape with rocks to create a cascading effect (still in early idea mode).

Any tips and adventures/misadventures are welome!
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Hi from Illinois/St. Louis region - 07/07/19 03:41 PM
Consider either solar-powered bottom diffused aeration or wind-driven. Several sources in the link below. Bottom diffused aeration can move lots of water to interact with the atmosphere and help water do what it does to cleanse itself.

https://www.pondboss.com/Resources?lci=1
Posted By: Velvetmaggot Re: Hi from Illinois/St. Louis region - 07/08/19 01:10 AM
Thank you for the resources! One day I will have a windmill powered aerator, for now I am leaning towards the solar powered options. I think my fish rapture has ceased and I'm left with the fish sinners.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Hi from Illinois/St. Louis region - 07/08/19 01:08 PM
Let's see this "undergravel pvc grid filter kind of thing". Do you have any sketches? I often wonder about implementing aquaria into ponds. Sounds very interesting.
Posted By: Joey Quarry Re: Hi from Illinois/St. Louis region - 07/08/19 01:26 PM
Originally Posted By: Velvetmaggot
Thank you for the resources! One day I will have a windmill powered aerator, for now I am leaning towards the solar powered options. I think my fish rapture has ceased and I'm left with the fish sinners.

Those who were called, probably weren't reproducing anyways. A healthy pond needs a few sinners, venial or otherwise.
© Pond Boss Forum