Pond Boss
Posted By: GAPRanch Howdy from Gouldbusk TX - 03/26/19 05:49 AM
My name is Art. My wife and I recently became land owners including a 1/2 acre pond.

As I understand it the previous owner had stocked it but it went dry in in the 2011 drought.

I don't know the first thing about ponds and their management so here I am to learn.

Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Howdy from Gouldbusk TX - 03/26/19 10:18 AM
Welcome Art. I' may be the only one here who knows where Gouldbust is. I hunted near there quite a few years ago. I like the idea of the windmill on the dam. Water(rain) can be pretty chancy there like most of West Texas.

Step one is to fish the pond(tank) and keep records of what you catch.
Posted By: bigpullerman Re: Howdy from Gouldbusk TX - 03/26/19 11:49 AM
Welcome to PBF Art. You are in the right place to find out what you need to do with your pond as the experts here will help steer you in the right direction. Like Dave said, get a notebook and right down everything you know about the pond. Go fishing and keep them records but the main thing is enjoy it.
Posted By: GAPRanch Re: Howdy from Gouldbusk TX - 03/27/19 06:11 PM
Thanks,

The windmill is an aerator but it doesn't work at the moment. I need to check the diaphragm I guess.

The only thing pulled out of the pond so far is what folks call google eyes. Most have been no more than 3-4 inches. here is the best one taken so far.

Eventually I'd like to have the pond as a source of eating fish maybe tilapia (just not catfish.)

I'd like it to be clean enough to be comfortable going for a swim but I'm not sure how realistic that is.
Posted By: Flame Re: Howdy from Gouldbusk TX - 03/27/19 11:03 PM
Welcome Art, from deep east Texas!! Ask lots of questions. There are answers everywhere on this forum. Also you might want to consider subscribing to Pond Boss Magazine. You will love it!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Howdy from Gouldbusk TX - 03/28/19 11:20 PM
In addition to the PB magazine, Lusk has a Facebook deal on Wednesday nights.
Posted By: Isaac678 Re: Howdy from Gouldbusk TX - 04/03/19 05:33 AM
Welcome smile
Posted By: ewest Re: Howdy from Gouldbusk TX - 04/10/19 03:41 PM
Looks like a GSF (Green Sunfish) or variant.
Posted By: Mike Whatley Re: Howdy from Gouldbusk TX - 04/10/19 07:53 PM
Looks like GSF to me too. Not uncommon in any pond in the south. Here in Louisiana, goggle-eye is more commonly used for warmouth, but the two are so similar in shape it would be easy to mistake one for the other if you dont know what to look for. Lots of guys hate them, lots of guys love them. I personally like having them around. They help keep the smaller BG fry in check.
© Pond Boss Forum