Pond Boss
Posted By: Augie Hello from Central Missouri - 12/23/18 11:43 PM
Hello good people. I found the PB web site and forums just recently, and am absolutely astounded at the body of knowledge that
resides here. I've learned more about ponds and fisheries in the last two months of reading than I had learned in my entire 55
years prior. Amazing stuff.

After just a couple hours of reading the forums I knew this was a good place for me, so I signed up, and subscribed to the print
magazine. I've received and read my first two issues cover to cover, and very much enjoyed them both.

I've been working on a pond renovation for the last five years. The hard part is done, it's starting to fill up with water, and
the fun stuff is about to begin, so this seems like a good time for an introduction. I'm still working on my pond story, it's
rather long, and I don't feel like it's quite done enough to tell it just yet. I keep finding photos and remembering things that
I'd forgotten about.

I wish that I'd found the PB forums five years ago when I started my little project. I might have avoided a few mistakes along the
way, but it is what it is, and I think it's going to turn out alright. Just today something happened that made it better.

More to come...

Greg Easley
Columbia, Missouri
Posted By: snrub Re: Hello from Central Missouri - 12/24/18 12:05 AM
Welcome to the forum. I also found PBF after my pond was mostly already done. At least my first pond. Then I built a few more!

Looking forward to your story. Starting a thread and adding short additions as you go along is a good way to do it. Guys like me with short attention spans get bogged down if any single post gets too long.

The forum has been a little quiet lately so a great time to get some new stories started.
Posted By: Augie Re: Hello from Central Missouri - 12/24/18 12:17 AM
That's kind of how I've decided to approach it. The forum software is limited to 15 hot-linked photos per post, and I'm up to six pages worth now.

Your pond building thread is one of the first I read here. I'm jealous of your machinery.

And much like you, I'm already thinking about the next one that I'm going to build. I have an ideal spot for a forage pond...
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Hello from Central Missouri - 12/24/18 03:33 AM
Hi neighbor! Lots of good stuff on here. You can see my story if you click below. I look forward to hearing more from you!
Posted By: SetterGuy Re: Hello from Central Missouri - 12/24/18 02:42 PM
Hey Augie, welcome to the forum. I went to school in Columbia back in the 70s. My little pond is up by Mark Twain Lake. Looking forward to reading about your pond. Good to see another Missourian on the forum.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Hello from Central Missouri - 12/24/18 03:12 PM
Good to have you, I'm, likely, about an hour drive from you... So, welcome from another local!
Posted By: Augie Re: Hello from Central Missouri - 12/24/18 10:37 PM
I appreciate the welcome, gents.

I've followed with great interest the stories all three of you guys have posted about your ponds.

I just got in from a day on Thomas Hill. It was pretty slow. Caught a couple dozen fiddler size channel cats and one almost-legal hybrid.

It was either go fishing or stay home and help the wife bake, so I went fishing.
Posted By: Centrarchid Re: Hello from Central Missouri - 12/25/18 05:01 PM
Welcome from me as well. I am in Holts Summit, MO and work with fish of all kinds at Lincoln University.
Posted By: Bocomo Re: Hello from Central Missouri - 12/25/18 06:16 PM
Originally Posted By: Augie
I appreciate the welcome, gents.

I've followed with great interest the stories all three of you guys have posted about your ponds.

I just got in from a day on Thomas Hill. It was pretty slow. Caught a couple dozen fiddler size channel cats and one almost-legal hybrid.

It was either go fishing or stay home and help the wife bake, so I went fishing.

Once you get set up you won't have to go that far to get away, even on Christmas. I caught bass in our backyard yesterday!
Posted By: gehajake Re: Hello from Central Missouri - 01/01/19 07:24 PM
From Columbia myself, just joined PB forum yesterday, looking for some tips and recommendations, am in the process of building a pretty good sized pond at the present in Randolph County, as weather allows, and will be spending a good bit of time and money stocking and managing and hopefully someday fishing, have received the PB magazine before but never joined the forum, really enjoying the tons of great info in this sight, biggest problem I have on here is deciphering all the abbreviations in the conversations, some are reasonably obvious but others not so much, I tried to see if there was a list of common abbreviations to look up but haven't found one.
Posted By: teehjaeh57 Re: Hello from Central Missouri - 01/01/19 07:43 PM
Welcome Jake.

Feel free to ping me anytime - I'm just a bit North of you - help lots of PB Family in MO.
Posted By: DrWizz Re: Hello from Central Missouri - 01/01/19 09:20 PM
The acronyms can be confusing, and even after reading them and using them for some time, I sometimes have to refer back. I just spent a few minutes to try to find them on site and wasn't successful. But, one trick that has been posted here that I use frequently is to simply google the results. This will work for most any topic you may be interested in on the forum as well. Just google Pondboss acronyms and the list will come right up. Others have recommended that you print the list off to have handy. Welcome the Forum!
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Hello from Central Missouri - 01/01/19 09:35 PM
A good homework assignment for your fish stocking plan is to read through this recent post where the predators 1st grew like gangbusters then growth apparently has hit the wall in the new pond. This is a common new pond problem to try and learn to avoid.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=500158#Post500158
Posted By: Bill D. Re: Hello from Central Missouri - 01/01/19 10:25 PM
Link to the acronyms smile

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92442#Post92442
Posted By: gehajake Re: Hello from Central Missouri - 01/01/19 10:39 PM
Thanks, got the acronym list, very handy, didn't mean to hijack my neighbors thread but thanks!
Posted By: Augie Re: Hello from Central Missouri - 01/02/19 12:54 AM
I've posted my pond story on the renovation forum.

My front yard cow pond

Please be gentle, it's my first time... grin
Posted By: Augie Re: Hello from Central Missouri - 01/02/19 01:04 AM
Thank you for the link, Mr. C. I've added that thread to my watch list.

Building a forage pond is on my list of things that I hope to accomplish over the summer.
© Pond Boss Forum