Pond Boss
Posted By: 45operator Hello from Central Texas - 09/23/18 05:33 PM
I've been on this forum for a while, just reading and learning. I purchased 50 acres 18 yrs ago with a watering hole for livestock. Never would hold much water. I purchased a KX080 excavator a year ago to work on my place a nod build new ponds. I fixed my leaking watering hole. I purchased Mike Otto's book Just add Water. Great reading. Now I have neighbors asking me to fix their ponds. I'm not sure where to start with pricing and bidding, or just as a base. Measurements of cubic yards, hourly rates? Any input would be appreciated.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Hello from Central Texas - 09/23/18 05:49 PM
If you're a quick worker, charge by the cubic yard.
If you're not, charge by the hour! laugh

Seriously, there are people here who can advise you better than I can re pricing. I would say that it is super important to learn the soils, the watershed, and to understand what can be fixed and what cannot. You don't want to promise what you can't deliver, which may mean sometimes not taking jobs. Especially when you are first starting out, failures can really hurt your reputation.
Posted By: Flame Re: Hello from Central Texas - 09/23/18 06:12 PM
Well said Ant!! Great advise.
Posted By: ronman Re: Hello from Central Texas - 09/23/18 07:39 PM
I can probably get with my son to give you some idea of what rate to charge. He is an estimator for a construction company. He would need to know the size of the bucket that you have on your machine, i.e. 18", 24", ok? Please understand that digging new ponds is not the same deal as cleaning out ponds, especially older ponds with deep
muck. You can sink your track machine to your eyeballs in that muck.
This forum has quite a bit of information on the subject of cleaning
the muck out of ponds. Some of the nightmares were very informative.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Hello from Central Texas - 09/23/18 08:18 PM
Originally Posted By: ronman
I can probably get with my son to give you some idea of what rate to charge. He is an estimator for a construction company. He would need to know the size of the bucket that you have on your machine, i.e. 18", 24", ok? Please understand that digging new ponds is not the same deal as cleaning out ponds, especially older ponds with deep
muck. You can sink your track machine to your eyeballs in that muck.
This forum has quite a bit of information on the subject of cleaning
the muck out of ponds. Some of the nightmares were very informative.

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience comes from a lack of wisdom, as I've proven time and again.
Posted By: anthropic Re: Hello from Central Texas - 09/23/18 08:21 PM
Thanks, Flame! Hope your hot rod pond is getting plenty of rain, mine is FINALLY starting to rise after being two feet low for months.
Posted By: 45operator Re: Hello from Central Texas - 09/24/18 02:39 AM
36 in bucket.
Posted By: 45operator Re: Hello from Central Texas - 09/24/18 02:43 AM
I've seen the baptism of equipment cleaning out a pond. Friend had 2 dozers, skid steer stuck in the muck. Took a little excavator to dig all 3 out.
Posted By: Flame Re: Hello from Central Texas - 09/24/18 01:03 PM
We have had 8 1/2 inches of rain this month but scattered out too much. Pond has come up about 6 inches but am still near 3 foot low. Visibility is very low...only about 6 inches and fish are feeding very slow. Little worried.
Posted By: 45operator Re: Hello from Central Texas - 09/24/18 01:20 PM
I have a 36 in bucket, .44 cubic yard.
Posted By: ronman Re: Hello from Central Texas - 09/25/18 04:38 PM
To 45operator: In our central Texas area the rate runs about $125 per hour for an operator with a large excavator using a 36" bucket. Also,
the equipment moving cost is quite high. The move-in and move-out for only a short distance can run a total of about #750.
Hope this information is helpful. Ron
Posted By: 45operator Re: Hello from Central Texas - 09/26/18 04:39 AM
It's an 18000 lb machine.
Posted By: Bob Lusk Re: Hello from Central Texas - 09/26/18 11:03 AM
Call Mike Otto and go spend some time riding around with him. I expect he'd be happy to talk and share his experiences.
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Hello from Central Texas - 09/26/18 02:15 PM
Agree with Bob. Contact Otto.
Posted By: ewest Re: Hello from Central Texas - 09/26/18 03:30 PM
Call Mike Otto - none better.

940-665-2258
Posted By: BobMoff Re: Hello from Central Texas - 10/19/18 03:16 PM
Hello and welcome aboard!

By the way, just in case anyone’s interested, my old college buddy is selling an American Force Trax SS and Ironman tire package. If anyone’s interested, feel free to PM me.
Posted By: bigpullerman Re: Hello from Central Texas - 10/20/18 04:39 PM
Welcome to the forum and you will find lots of good info here.
© Pond Boss Forum