Pond Boss
Posted By: KarenSue Hello for NW Ohio - 08/20/18 12:10 AM
We just closed on our new to us home, with what the county says is a 1/2 acre pond. We have pictures from the old owners of the pond process, and according to them deepest part is 13 feet. I'm looking forward to learning about the care and maintenance that will be necessary. I love that it is here, and want it to be a blessing and not a curse.
Posted By: Bill Cody Re: Hello for NW Ohio - 08/20/18 01:02 AM
Welcome - Any idea how old the pond is? Do you see any issues or problems with the current condition of the pond?
Posted By: Dave Davidson1 Re: Hello for NW Ohio - 08/20/18 10:54 AM
Welcome to Pond Boss. The first step is to get to know the pond. Observe and take notes of each visit.
Posted By: snrub Re: Hello for NW Ohio - 08/20/18 02:23 PM
Welcome to PBForum!

Put this thread on your "watch list" so you can find it if the forum gets busy. Under "Topic Options" at the top of this thread.

I enjoy our ponds almost daily when we are at home.
Posted By: Quarter Acre Re: Hello for NW Ohio - 08/20/18 03:52 PM
Welcome to the club KS! If you spend much time around here you will want to save the Acronyms thread to your favorites. Here is it's location...

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92442#Post92442

Eventually you will have to decipher mumbo jumbo like this...

"While hanging out at the BOW the other day, I noticed a school of YOY RES huddling closely together in the EG under the FA. BTW IMO, it was the presence of the GBH and/or the ST that had them startled. What do you all think? TIA"...LSHIFIMP
Posted By: KarenSue Re: Hello for NW Ohio - 09/08/18 03:14 AM
Sorry for the delay in responding and thank you for the tips. The new house needed some extensive cleaning, painting and general maintenance. As to the age of the pond, from the pictures I would say it was early 90's when it was dug. I know it needs an aerator, the rocks of the banks have quite a bit of crud on them. After a rain a few weeks ago, I had alge all over the top. Someone recommended that I use liquid Cutrine in it, it looked better the next day. We sprayed 1/2 the pond, then the wind pushed all the alge to one side so we sprayed it pretty heavy. It seemed to clear up well. It's been dry so it's down about 18 inches by the high water marks on the dock piers. The forecast for rain this Sunday is about 3.5 inches so that should help. (I'm in NW Ohio also)
© Pond Boss Forum